What do Young People in Japan do for Fun?
Travel

112

If you ever see anything about Japan on the news it usually has to do with earthquakes or how hardworking they are. Sometimes it seems that all they ever do is work. To an extent that is true. However, the young people of Japan still like to have fun too. Here blank things young Japanese people do for fun.

1. Karaoke

Japanese people absolutely love karaoke. Unlike most places in America, it's not something done on a stage drunkenly at a bar. You rent out a private room that comes with mics and instruments and get to embarrass yourself only in front of your closest friends. You can choose how long you want to sing with a max of 12 hours. Yes, me and my friends have gone karaoking for 12 hours.

2. Go out for nomihoudai/tabehoudai

Nomihoudai means to drink to your heart's content and tabehoudai means to eat to your heart's content. Many bars and restaurants will have large group deals where they will let you drink and eat as much as you want for a certain amount of time. It's a great, cheap way to socialize and is really popular.

3. Museums

In Japan, and especially in Tokyo, there are museums everywhere. A lot of them are really cheap and even sometimes free. Me and my friends went to countless museums and it was always a great time out. I always saw families and couples checking out museums.

4. Amusement Parks

Japanese people love amusement parks; and in Tokyo there is Tokyo Disney. People will get very dressed up and will go in large groups or in couples to amusement parks. In every season amusement parks will do something special; whether it be lighting up the whole park for Christmas time or opening up a water-park for Summer. The amusement park experience is very different from America and you should definitely check one out.

5. Clubbing

Japanese people are allowed to drink and go to clubs at the age of twenty. In the bigger cities of Japan you will find an abundance of different clubs. I lived in Tokyo where the club scene was huge and on Saturday nights they would be crowded with the young people of Tokyo.

If you want to go where the young people go here is the complete guide for that. I've done all these activities countless times and I had fun every time I did them.