What You Need To Know About The Bill That Allows Hibernating Bears And Wolves To Be Hunted

You can hunt and kill mother bears, wolves, and their young in their dens.

76

I was checking my Facebook account the other day, and I came across a disturbing video. I follow a site called the DoDo, and it usually has cute animal videos and heartwarming stories. This time it had a video about hunting in the Alaska wilderness. I have no problem with hunting, as long as it's done humanely and for the purpose of food. This video revealed that congress overturned the law that prohibits the killing of hibernating bears, wolves, and their young.

My heart was absolutely broken when I saw this video. Defenseless cubs and pups can now be killed with their sleeping mothers.

Upon further research I discovered that this law also allows aerial hunting of grizzly bears.

This is not right. These are not animals that are destroying property or livelihood. These are sleeping animals. They are defenseless. They are babies. Who hunts babies?

The president has the opportunity to veto this, but the question is will he? Is this important enough or mainstream enough for him to look into? "Sen. Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) said the rule fundamentally changes Alaska’s relationship with the Fish and Wildlife Service 'from one of cooperation to subservience.”' This is from an Alaskan who does not want harm to come to these animals. "'This isn’t about states’ rights,' said Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) 'It’s not about prohibiting hunting. ... It’s about how we can manage these wildlife refuges to the degree that agencies believe are necessary for the preservation of these wildlife heritage areas.'" Even those who do not live in Alaska are outraged.

Not only has this made national news, but it has also made world news. The "India Times" calls this practice "barbaric." They go into detail about how hunters can use airplanes and steel-jawed leg hold traps as well as enter the dens of the animals. "'What the Senate did today should outrage the conscience of every animal lover in America,' Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), said on Tuesday after the Senate passed the resolution." People everywhere are dismayed by this bill.

These animals are a part of our world, our ecosystem, and our life. This bill is inhumane and should not be allowed to pass. Wolves are my favorite animals and bears have a special place in my heart, so to see a bill condone the slaughter of these animals while defenseless absolutely sickens me.