What You Learned As A Cheerleader

What You Learned As A Cheerleader

Things you can relate to if you cheered in high school.

19
What You Learned As A Cheerleader
Maddie Mosbach

It's so much more than the depictions of the preppy cheerleader everyone sees.

Cheerleading was one of the hardest things I did in my four years of high school. I learned more about teamwork, leadership and community than I ever thought I could from a sport.

If you were ever a member of a cheer team, you can relate with these lessons.

1. Your hair was never "too big".

I grew about foot taller every Friday night after I did my hair for a game. Thank you teasing brush and Rave hairspray.

2. You just accept the 10 new bruises you find the morning after a practice.

It looked like I got in a fight every practice all four years. If you were a base or a backspot, your arms probably looked like this regularly.

3. You wanted to fight the one person who couldn't get it.

Whether it was the school song, a new sideline, or your competition routine, there was always someone who couldn't catch on and made the entire team do it over 20 more times.

4. You can't dance unless it's choreographed.

Maybe this one is just me, but I've been told I'm a horrible free-stylist (thanks mom) because I have to hit every move instead of just dancing. Hit 1, Hit 2 is ingrained in my soul, okay?

5. Once you finally hit something, you could stop doing it.

For me, this was tumbling. I would hesitate all practice and once I finally hit it, I had to do it about 20 more times just to make sure the first time wasn't a fluke. Thank goodness I had an awesome coach that stayed late to watch me do 10,000 running back handsprings in a row.

6. You can't listen to certain songs because they were in your competition mix.

I get immediately anxiety when I hear "Walking on Sunshine" now. I was a freshman with four counts to get it together before I tumbled.

7. You practiced for months to perform for three minutes.

Seriously. I have never put so much time and effort into anything, and for a three minute routine.

8. You learned more about your teammates than you wanted to know.

Between cheer bonding and group texts, you got to know your teammates super well by the time the year began. You probably learned much more than needed.

9. You forgot you were a cheerleader when the refs were wrong.

I mean, seriously. That obviously wasn't a foul on us. We didn't fumble. Give us the ball. Cheerleaders are meaner than fans.

10. There was no feeling like when your music started.

My freshman year, we made it to state. It was the most incredible experience. I could literally feel my the floor vibrate when our mix started.

11. You poured yourself into this sport.

I became a leader through this sport. I became a teammate. I learned how to accept other people's ideas and work with them to fit my own. I made lifelong friends. I made memories I will never forget. I was filled with school spirit that will never go away. To some people who didn't have the awesome experiences that we did, cheerleading will just be the stereotypical team shown in movies. Those of us who were lucky enough to live it know how much effort it truly took.

I am so proud to say I was a cheerleader and I'm even prouder of what I gained from it.