What Is So Wrong With Being Average?

What Is So Wrong With Being Average?

Since when did 'average = failure'?
2404

I'm not perfect, but I know I'm not bad. I am just average . And at first, that terrified me to the core. I feared I would never be great at something, or I would never stand out in the crowd or make a difference in the world. There is nothing particularly great about me. I'm an average girl doing average things at her average university. I have average grades, I have average hobbies and average interests. Something snapped and I realized that being average is okay, and I have accepted it. What is so wrong about being average in the first place?

"There's 7 billion 46 million people on the planet, and most of us think we have the audacity to think we matter." -Watsky, Tiny Glowing Screens Pt. 2. As harsh as this quote is, I think it's very true. The majority of people won't ever do something 'worthwhile' in their lifetime. We put celebrities on these pedestals for what they do and we strive to be just like them. The majority of people will never play basketball like Micheal Jordan, play tennis like the Williams sisters, write like Shakespeare, create the next technology breakthrough like Steve Jobs, or sing like Beyonce. We're all pretty average at most things, and that's okay.

Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't try our best at things because you should always try. I'm not trying to encourage anyone to give up on what their passionate about. All I'm saying is that I don't see the problem in being average. I think we, as humans, know that we are average creatures but no one wants to talk about it. We all want to be extraordinary, but it's just very unlikely. And that's perfectly okay.

I know what you're thinking, "If I'm just going to mediocre at best, what's the point of doing anything at all?" We are taught as a society that we are destined for greatness. It's plastered all over social media, celebrities say it, politicians say it and even business people say it. But if we're all extraordinary, then no one is extraordinary. Being average does not mean you're a failure. Statistically thinking, the majority of most people are in the middle of the pack in most everything humans can do. Someone may be a real good swimmer, but gets C's in their math and science classes. The thing about being extraordinary is that it never lasts. We all go back to being average Joes and Janes and that's okay! People who think being average means that they will never improve their life, or achieve any greatness in their life and that's a real unhealthy mindset. Humans aren't born extraordinary, they become extraordinary with constant improvement due to their fear of being average.

Let go of the pressure that you have to achieve some sort of greatness in order to achieve a 'fulfilling' life. I have let go of this pressure and I have found a new appreciation for the little average things in life. A lot of things that are average are some of the best things in life. You, me, or anyone does not have to be special, extraordinary, exceptional, or be the very best to live a happy life filled with joy.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that we should all try to the best we possibly can, but if the results are average or mediocre we shouldn't let it affect us, being average is not a bad thing. Being average is okay.