What I Would Tell 16-Year-Old Me

What I Would Tell 16-Year-Old Me

You don't even know the half of it.

15
What I Would Tell 16-Year-Old Me
theodysseyonline.com

Dear 16 Year Old Version of Myself,

The first thing that I want to tell you is that everything will be okay. Whatever adversities that you face in the next couple of years, you will get through them. You're a strong person, even if at times you don't believe it yourself. You need to stop being your own worst enemy because you're better than all of that. You're smart and beautiful and you're going to excel in everything you do. Just be patient.

I know that you struggle with your self worth and that you feel like you don't belong anywhere, but that will change when you get to college. You'll join SUTV and you'll make some amazing friends within that group and outside of it. Your freshman year best friends will help you through more than you could ever imagine and you will forever be grateful to them. There are going to be things that drive you apart from two of them, but you'll keep in contact with one and she's pretty great.

You need to stop thinking that you know better than everyone else because you don't. I know things aren't always easy when it comes to Mom, but your relationship with her does get better. I promise you that.

There are going to be people that enter your life that are simply no good for you and it's going to be really hard to realize that at first but other people will. Whatever you do, please listen to everyone. You're going to start dating someone and you're going to lose a friend over them. He isn't worth it. You're going to regret it for a really long time. There is going to be another boy who you think you're going to marry, but you won't marry him either. He's not the one and you don't need to find yourself stuck in that relationship either but you will for awhile... but you will leave him and then you'll find the best man you've ever met. He's going to make you laugh. He's going to make you finally realize why nothing else worked out. He will be the one who you want to really, deep inside you, feel it in your bones, marry. He's perfect for you.

Please enjoy every moment that life throws at you. There are going to be times when it gets really hard and you don't know what's going to happen, but you're going to make it out alive. Laugh off the little things and the big things too. Don't hold grudges because the stress simply isn't worth it. Make sure you tell everyone how much the mean to you because you don't know when it will be the last time. Cherish your friendships that you have because your friends really are the best around. Embrace change because it's inevitable and it's not always bad. Get better at expressing your feelings in a reasonable manner because lashing out is not cool. Get better at telling people how you feel in general. Bottling things up isn't healthy and it just creates more problems in the long run. Things will not always go your way and sometimes they turn out better than you could have ever expected.

Most importantly, always be happy. Do not stay at a job, in a relationship, a friendship, or in a home if you are not happy. If you remember to put your feelings first (in most situations), than you will be just fine. You'll find your place, don't worry.

Love always,

21 year old, you.