What Working In A Restaurant Has Taught Me

Seating yourself and staying over an hour is a big no-no.

39

If you, like I was, are new to the food industry, you might not realize the chaotic franchise that is the restaurant business.

It is crazy.

Recently, I picked up two hostess gigs at two different restaurants. One upscale, one casual. Despite their differences, almost everything is exactly the same. As a hostess, I get to see the the restaurant from the outside as well as all the mayhem that happens behind the scenes.

Whether you have been in the food service industry for years or are just a novice, for the love of baby Jesus, keep reading and see what working in a restaurant really entails.

First and foremost:

Tips are king.

If you are thinking about stiffing your waiter on tips, please do not. I am honestly fearful for those poor tippers because of the mass amounts of bad juju they are being sent from the restaurant staff. Do yourself a favor and tip well. You have no idea how much your waiter appreciates it.

On that note...

We work hard.

Like really hard. When business is good (which is all the time in a popular restaurant), we are never not moving. Our multi-tasking skills have to be on point 24/7. Even as a hostess. Do you think it's easy trying to seat people while busing tables, managing the phone, doing to-go orders, and trying to keep hangry customers in line? Well, it's not. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Behind the scenes is a mess.

Food is literally flying. On and off plates, all over the floor, and all over us. The floors take constant diligence to be kept clean. Managers are shouting. Food is getting expo'd as fast as humanly possible. It's a carefully crafted ecosystem as servers yell, "Corner!" as they round the walls, trying not to run into anyone.

Guests have a hard time with direction.

People try to skip the wait-list, seat themselves, order food when the kitchen is not open, and basically do everything in their power to make our lives more complicated. It's not that complicated. You will get helped when I am done helping the three other people in front of you. Please do not slide into a a table that I am about to sit. We have to tally how many people come in and out.

We talk.

About you. Whether or not you tipped well, if it looks like your date is going swimmingly, about how cute your shoes are. It's our job to serve you, but when you come into our house, it's only natural for us to form opinions.

It gets weird.

You learn a little bit too much about the other staff. You get rather kooky and delusional when trying to entertain yourself from the constant mundane of your daily tasks. Inappropriate sexual conversations are normal. Little is off limits when customers aren't within earshot.

Free/50 percent off food is life.

Working in a restaurant does have some perks. There is nothing like free food to soothe your tired soul.

Working in a restaurant is tiresome work. It takes a lot to keep such a fast-moving business smoothly running. Getting food to the table isn't even half of it. So next time you find yourself dining out, please show some gratitude when service is good and some understanding when it is less than ideal. We'll love you for it.