What I Won’t Miss About College

What I Won’t Miss About College

I'm counting down the days.

105
What I Won’t Miss About College

College has been a challenging experience, but I have definitely learned a lot from it. I would characterize that learning as learning how to think better, and learning via being exposed to lots and lots of different ideas and texts. It’s been good, and I know once I graduate that I am going to be missing college within about two weeks, but for now, here are some things I won’t miss.

1. Presentations

This isn’t the worst thing on this list, but that doesn’t mean I won’t be glad to see them go.

2. Group projects

This probably is the worst thing on this list. I don’t know that there has ever been a time that I would have preferred to work in a group. I would much rather have to work harder to do the work myself, alone, hands down, no question about it. I get the point of them, and I get that working with others is something that is always going to be necessary, I get that group projects are like, exposure therapy, but at the very least it will be nice to not have to do it in the college setting anymore.

3. Working in groups in class

Like mini group projects. Still torturous. What’s even worse is when the prof switches things up so you don’t have the same people. Boo.

4. Teachers who call on you at random

I promise, if I feel like I have something intelligent to contribute, I will speak up on my own.

5. When you say something stupid/wrong

Second worst. Maybe the worst, I don’t know. We had a whole conversation in one class the other day about how putting your opinion in, an opinion that you have mentally labored to craft, is like putting a piece of yourself out there, so when it’s wrong or it seems like you’re the only one who sees what you see, well, that’s pretty embarrassing and it’s like, personal, man.

6. Tripping

Oh god, CofC is practically infamous for the uneven cobblestone sidewalks. I’ve completely fallen down before. Recently, in one single day, I witnessed three separate people trip, two of whom were professors. There’s no graceful way to do it. Thankfully, though it often feels like time slows down, the actual tripping is over pretty fast.

7. Walking to your car/between classes only to realize your bag has been wide open the whole time

This isn’t really a big deal but it’s still kind of embarrassing. It’s like the student equivalent of having your fly down.

8. Reading quizzes

I mean, it’s pretty obvious when someone hasn’t read. What’s the point of shaming them on top of it? I really think there are better ways to encourage reading. Besides, it’s so hard remembering specific bits, especially when it’s thrown at you at the start of class.

9. Having to read an average of 100 pages a night

Honestly, it’s not that bad, I wouldn’t be an English major if I disliked reading. It’s just the compulsory part. And the fact that it’s pretty hard stuff, a lot of the time. And the fact that it’s pretty much 6 out of 7 days of the week that this has to happen. I literally had to get 25 books between my 5 classes this semester. (Okay I’m bragging a little now)

10. While having to write something semi-intelligent in response

More times than not I read the assigned reading and think, okay, yeah. I have nothing nearly as articulate to add to this that probably hasn’t already been said over and over by countless other fellow students.

11. And finding time for all this while also working

While I legitimately enjoy my job, there are times when I have papers to write and 100 pages to read and I’m working until 9 and I’ll think during all the slow moments of how I could be doing homework and then I spiral into thinking about the evils of capitalism. Just kidding but it’s pretty hard to manage time when you barely have enough of it to slog through everything.

12. Being sleep deprived

It’s a constant refrain of the college student, or the student generally, but it’s no joke. Lose a few hours of sleep every night and you’re quickly thrown into an alternate reality, which in turn makes it harder to do the work you’re supposed to do.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m lucky to have gotten the chance to come to college. I’m just a little sleep-deprived right now, hence grumpy and rant-y.