What I Wish I Knew Coming Into College

What I Wish I Knew Coming Into College

One semester down.

8

I did it.

My first semester is over. All the first that comes with the college experience is mostly over. The first night in the dorm, the first test that keeps you up at night, having to taste the same, gross, meals from the dinning hall, the first fight with your roommate -- it's all over. Next semester will be a new set of first in some areas, but this was it.

Overall, my first semester in college had it's ups and downs, rights and lefts. There were moments when I questioned my existence and whether or not I could actually do this. It was rough, but there were times when it was remarkably fun.

However, I wish there was a time machine, so I could go back and tell the nervous, quirky, first day of college, Makayla a few little tips to get through the next semester of heartbreak and a lot of hard first.

1. Don't hold onto the past

This is an easy one. Things happened in the past and of course some of those things hurt, but holding onto them just made it worse. Work on letting it go and keep your head up. Learn to meditate and write out the past and then BURN it... That will work for you.

2. Not everyone is meant to be in your life

Okay, you hear this one over and over. By now, you should know this, but for some reason it doesn't seem to one to get saved in your brain. Their are going to be people who are going to be in your life for a short period, there will be the ones that will be there when you need them, but then move on, and then there will be those who will stick like glue. No matter how your friendships or relationships end, please this time REMEMBER that not everyone is meant to be in your life! Don't cry about every little relationship that ends.

3. It's okay to go out and do something off-campus

So, you know you need to get good grades, but once and awhile it's okay to get off campus and do something different other than seeing the four walls that surround your dorm room. The world is very big and it will make you nervous, but once you find yourself exploring the town that's right down the street from you -- you'll find yourself loving every aspect of it -- just make sure it happens before the leaves start to change.

4. Seek help when you need it

Whether it's help with homework or with your own self; it's okay to seek help wherever it is offered. Don't worry about what your friends, classmates, or anyone else thinks, because you deserve to find help and that's all that matters.

5. A grade on a test (or tests) don't define you

There is a lot stress when it comes to letter grades or GPA. What's important is that you're getting your degree and you're doing something that you enjoy. Please, please, don't let others dictate you into believing that a letter is what you're worth. You're worth so, so much more.

You're doing great, Makayla. I believe you. Next semester is going to be great.