What I Want My Little Sister To Know Senior Year

16
amygrayphotography.com

You're growing up so fast. I don't know where the time went. I guess the age difference makes this a little harder than it is for other older siblings. It seems like yesterday you were in elementary school. I remember you running around with your friends with a gap in the front of your teeth and how excited you were for the new one to grow in. I remember you taking your blanket everywhere you went... no exceptions. I also remember you screaming at the top of your lungs if you dropped it in the car or left it somewhere. But now, you're all grown up. You are starting senior year. You are taking the ACT and applying for colleges and trying to figure out what you are going to do with your life. You have almost reached the end if this chapter in your life. You are ready to take on the world and I don't blame you... I was too when I was in your place. But before this chapter closes, there are a few things I want you to know.

1. Finish it.

You are almost done. There are so many people that quit senior year. Don't quit. You are almost there. Just a few more months and you with be free AND have a diploma in your hand. You won't have to worry about trying to get a GED. You can do it.

2. Finish it without any obligations.

There are so many people that are getting married and having kids in high school. Don't wish away your life. Time flies by. You don't need to settle down or tie yourself to someone. You're young! It may work out for some people, but chances when you get out of school and start learning who you really are you will grow apart. Take this time for you.

3. Start applying for colleges now.

Don't wait until the deadline to apply. Start now so that you have time to get your applications in and perfect them.

4. Start applying for scholarships now.

Again... DON'T WAIT! The sooner you start, the bigger chance you will have at getting scholarships. Apply for every scholarship you can. Just like with applying for the college, the longer you have to submit your applications the longer you have to perfect them.

5. Senioritis is real.

Everyone talks about it but it just seems made up. They are just lazy. They just want an excuse to validate not wanting to do the work. Everyone gets tired at the end of the year. FALSE! Senioritous is real. I think it finally hit me after spring break. When I came back I was done. I didn't want to do anymore work. I had been in school for 13 years if you don't count preschool. That's a long time. I was excited and all I could think about was graduation.

6. Graduation comes sooner than you think.

You've been waiting for this your whole life. You are ready to cross the stage and get out of that school for good. Don't wish it away. I would never go back to high school, but I still cherish the memories I made there. Enjoy your last year. There is a lot of pressure and a lot of stress, but it can also be a lot of fun.

7. Get a job.

Seriously... get a job. It will help you. It will be nice to have your own money. You will also be ahead of everyone else. You will come out of school with job experience. It will also teach you how to balance multiple responsibilities. It might be hard sometimes, but it will be good for you.

8. It's okay to be afraid.

The future is unknown. There is no way to predict what is going to happen. You have been working your whole life to get to this place and there is still no guarantee of how it will turn out. It is okay. Everyone is afraid of the unknown. It will pass. It is okay to be afraid, bit take some deep breaths and don't let the fear control you. It will all work out in the end.

9. Be yourself.

Don't try to empress everyone. High school is filled with enough fake people. Don't be fake. Don't be fake in high school and don't be fake once you get out. Be yourself. I promise everyone will like you.

10. You're going to get different friends.

You are not going to keep the same friends, and that is okay. You are all growing up. You will move on and go your separate ways. Sure, there will be a few you stay in touch with, but it won't be the same. This is life. You will grow apart, but you will also make new friends.

11. I love you.

We may fight an argue, but I love you. I will always be here for you. You may go off to a college 1,000 miles away, but i will always just be a phone call away. You are growing up. We may end up on opposite sides of the country, but that is okay. We are sisters, and I can't wait to see what your future holds.