10 Things To Do Before, During And After Hurricane Florence
Life Stages

Hurricane Florence is coming for us so you might as well be prepared for when he hits land.

172

If you haven't already heard, there is a stage 4 hurricane hitting the Carolina's and Virginia this week. Rain will be flooding the campus and gray skies will be all that Blacksburg sees for a couple days.

While some students wait anxiously to hear the game day verdict, others are grabbing their bathing suits, putting on their rain boots and spending a nice, relaxing day at the Drillfield pool. As for me, I'll avoid the overcast sunburn and pray that the rain spares me a couple days so I can have some time to catch up on Netflix.

Here are a couple things you can do outside in the storm, inside during the store, or if you are an anxious person like me, in preparation for the storm.

1. Go to the Grocery Store

If it rains as much as predicted, there will be flooding on campus.

Make a run out to Kroger and pick up some snacks: popcorn for some good rainy day movie nights, candy, microwave easy mac&cheese, and drinks.

You are going to want to make sure you have plenty of things to snack on when rain is pouring down and winds are tugging on your umbrella.

Personally, I'd rather stay cozy in my sweatpants while watching The Office than getting drenched on a Kroger run.

2. Get Plenty of Water

As of now, Kroger and Target have run out of water.

People are definitely stocking up and you should too. Especially if your rain boots and raincoats got left behind in your move to Virginia Tech.

I mean, who likes having soaking wet socks and sneakers during the day? Be prepared and get ahead of the storm, plus this way you won't have to rely on the rain for your fresh water supply.

3. Close your Windows

As stupid as this may sound, remember to close your windows.

As hot as most of the dorms are, you should close them.

Maybe don't close them all the way so you can still have a little airflow but enough to prevent water from coming in.

We recently had a small thunderstorm and I left my windows open and both my fans fell on me while in bed and water sprayed all over my blankets. But, hey, if you would like a nice spray of water then, by all means, keep them open.

4. Trash Can Surf

If you have ever seen 'How I Met Your Mother', then you know what this is. If you haven't seen it then you can watch it on the episode 'Disaster Everted'.

Basically, if you are tired of being stuck inside and want to go out and have fun in the rain, take the top of a trash can and ride it like a saucer sled on slick streets.

Although there is a risk of getting hurt, you will have great memories with your friends to look back on.

5.Swim on the Drillfield

People on the VT Facebook page have already made a post about an event called "Swimming On the Drillfield — Hurricane Florence."

Now it might be fake and not actually happen, but you might as well grab some friends and your bathing suit and check it out.

6. Cuddle up with some Netflix

Now for those of you, like me, who are scared of violent storms and prefer to be tightly wrapped in your blankets with some popcorn and a good movie, aka the whole Harry Potter series, then stay in!

Enjoy the excuse to stay in bed day and relax. Besides, by this point, you are starting to get slammed with work, so take a day off to sit in the dark and watch a good movie or show.

7. Catch up on your work

For those of you who are studious and need a distraction-free zone to do work then this is the time for you to sit down and do some work.

You won't see as many people outside having fun and won't have your friends telling you to come out and hang out. It can just be you stuck in your room, having nothing else to do but work.

8. Clean your Room

This storm gives you the perfect opportunity to clean up your room or do your laundry. For those of you have been putting off cleaning your room and have a huge pile of laundry accumulating, these are the days to get that done! You have all this free indoor time so you might as well put it to good use.

9. Get to Know your Roommates and Hall mates Better

These rainy days might have you stuck inside, so maybe you can't run back to your high school friends or new friends you've made. So, take this opportunity to get to know your roommate and hall mates better.

Play a game, do some crafts, cut up some game day shirts, or go into a common room and play cards. There are countless things you can do by just going outside your door to your hall and introducing yourself.

10. Sleep

Fourth week of college has truly hit me, and let me tell you, I am exhausted.

Some of you might be feeling the same way. Thanks to the cloud coverage, there will be little to no light coming in your windows, so it is the perfect time to catch up on that sleep that you've been desperately missing.

Plus, with the cold wind, you might finally get a sweat-less sleep so take advantage.