What a college student should do when they're home for the holidays

Now that you're back, just what can you do?

5

The holiday season is in full swing and you can sometimes find yourself falling into a bit of a slump when you get back home. With little money and nowhere of interest to go, it forces you to remember why you wanted to leave in the first place.

Hang out with all your old friends

Everypixel

It's been a whole semester since you've seen all your old friends so it might be time for you guys to catch up. While this may seem like a given, it's always nice to visit with friends you may not see as often as your usual crowd. Meaning, reach out to that person you may not have seen since before last summer. Who knows, it might be great.

Think about visiting your high school and just driving away

Some people had a great time at high school and that's perfectly fine, but for those like me, it seems almost ridiculous to return to a place that brought you misery on the daily. I broke this year and actually attended our alumni reunion but I would recommend just driving by for a short moment of nostalgia.

Become your family's errand boy for spare cash

Maybe this is too specific to me, but as of recent years it has become my seasonal employment. Whether it be picking up tea light candles at Pier 1 or being my mom's personal Uber, I do it any and all tasks per my family members's requests. I'm definitely not complaining though because it's a nice symbiotic relationship.

Eat all the food you can't afford to eat at college

After a semester of ramen and eggs, eating real food again is a necessity. Not only is the food good but you're not the one paying so it tastes that much better. Or if you just need a break from all the holiday frenzy, take yourself out for a nice meal. You deserve it.

Take a nap

This isn't a holiday exclusive activity but is definitely a needed one. With finals over and done with, why not catch up on all the lost sleep you've missed out on. However, be wary of ruining your sleep schedule. Winter break is long but not that long...

Spend time with your family

Isn't that what coming home for the holidays is really about? But on a serious note, college is going by quick and it's important to treasure shared moments with your family. Once graduation comes around spending time with your whole family will become more and more rare. So take some time out of your break to do something like watch a movie or play a board game with the rest of your family.