What THON is Really About.

What THON is Really About.

It's about much more than raising money for pediatric cancer.

12
What THON is Really About.
Max Petrosky

THON. Every Penn Stater since 1973 knows what THON is.

THON is Penn State's 46-hour no sitting, no sleep dance marathon held in February of every year. That's only the half of it though. THON is a year-long effort to raising funds and awareness for the fight against pediatric cancer. It's the largest student-run philanthropy in the world.

But that's not all THON is about.

It's not all about the money. Yes, the money is a huge part of it. It's so the parents of the children affected never have to look at a hospital bill. It's so the parents can focus on their child. It's to help these children get better. It's to help find a cure so no parents have to ever hear the words, "your child has cancer."

But THON is so much more.

We THON to help bring smiles to these children's faces. We THON to take them to a happy place. We THON to take their minds off of what they are going through. We THON because every school day 43 children are diagnosed with cancer. We THON so that one day that number will be 0. We THON for those who we have lost and those who continue to fight. We THON so one day every cub can become a Nittany Lion. We THON for a cure.

Together since 1973, Penn State has raised $137,657,890.66. The money raised is donated to The Four Diamonds Fund, a charity devoted to defeating pediatric cancer through research and caring for patients at Penn State Hershey Children's hospital.

One day we will dance in celebration.. Until then we will dance for a cure.

http://www.thon.org/