33 Freshman Reveal What They Don't Tell You On College Tours

Freshmen spill the deets on their respective schools.

358

I took three tours at Lehigh before I came here, had about five more during orientation, and still felt lost during the first few weeks. It wasn't because I didn't know my way around campus, but it was because that was all I knew. Tours are a good outside look at the school, but there are so many things that we aren't told on tours that can be beneficial to our experience. Over the course of a few days I reached out to college freshmen at various universities, and here's what they replied when I asked them, "What's something they don't tell you on tours at your school?"

1. University of Vermont

"The main library on campus can get pretty crowded and noisy. If you take the extra five minute walk up to the medical campus, the library in the med school is full of studious and VERY quiet med students who are super willing to share the space with the rare undergrad who knows it even exists. Take the bus downtown in the spring/fall and get off at a place called The Skinny Pancake, a crepe restaurant. You can eat outside and get the best view of Lake Champlain. And it's even better when they have their Acoustic Soul nights on Thursdays and you get the treat of live music too." -Samantha Sullivan

2. Fashion Institute of Technology

"There's a place called Brooklyn Bagels right around the corner that is the BEST, and the high-line and Chelsea market are in walking distance." -Liliana Russo

3. Montclair State University

"Montclair State University has a train station on campus that goes directly to New York City and there are also spots on campus where you can go to just look at the NYC skyline, which is super pretty and relaxing. They have benches to sit on and everything." -Brooke Frischman

4. Lafayette College

"I personally love this Civil War statue on the edge of the campus which is situated atop an Appalachian mountain. The statue overlooks the city of Easton and there's a hole in the tree line, so you only see it when you're driving up to campus. In the background there's a great view of the Appalachian mountains, and at night all the city lights are illuminated. In the distance, there's the twinkling of the scattered houses in-crested in the mountain. It faces the southwest, so the sunset is always gorgeous. Since it's on the edge of campus, no one is ever there. Whenever I'm stressed or just want to relax I walk there and bask in the serenity and beauty of the view." -Etienne Cossart

5. UMass Amherst

"This non-profit coffee shop called the People's Market...it's vegetarian and vegan-friendly. They have bagels and different teas and breakfast foods that are much cheaper than any other place on campus. And the vibes are really chill. They take music requests from employees and customers and everything is made/delivered fresh every morning from local farms and bakeries. You feel good buying their products because all of the proceeds benefit the local market." -Renata DeLury

6. Stevens Institute of Technology

"Besides the obviously gorgeous view, I think it's really great that once you choose a major here, you really don't waste any time or take classes that don't have anything to do with your major. Other than that, the networking and event planning is really cool. For example, the school can hook you up with cheaper concert tickets across the Hudson in NYC, once they buy them in stock and advertise the event." -Harkirat Kang

7. Muhlenberg College

"Well, although Muhlenberg is not as big into Greek life as other colleges, parties are hosted by the sports teams in their houses. The weekends are pretty lit despite the lack of frats." -Kaitlynn Ely

8. Kutztown University

"The one thing that they don't tell us about here is that Old Main (the oldest building on campus, right on Main Street) is haunted by a woman named Mary. Something cooler that they also don't tell us is that you won't get in trouble for going in any of the fountains. In one fountain there's a bunch of rocks, where people usually write messages, initials, Greek letters, etc. So on the hot days in the start and end of the school year, you can usually find a student or two in any given fountain." -Alyssa Husko

9. Brown University

"If you go to the 14th floor of the SciLi (Science Library), you can see from one end of the campus to the other." -Albert Dong

10. West Virginia University

"On tours, they purposely keep you away from downtown, which is literally across the street from campus, because that's where the fun happens. They don't take you by frat row, which is on top of campus." -Emerald Evans

11. University of Buffalo

"There's this really cool park behind the dorms that not many people know about, and this bridge leads to an island surrounded by a lake. It's really beautiful." -Jillian Hand

12. Harvard University

"John Harvard is our campuses' biggest attraction. Tourists touch the gold foot because they're told it's good luck. Every night students urinate on the foot." -Bridget Keegan

13. Syracuse University

"The kissing bench at Syracuse. They don't really emphasize it during tours, but it hasn't lost its romantic value. Because they don't talk about it on tours, I think it somehow personalizes the bench, even though thousands of students have kissed here before you. I think that's what makes it so special." -Dylan Brzezinski

14. University of Maryland

"There's a garden on the edge of campus where UMD has journals under benches with pens, and people just write random entries about their lives." -Cristina Tous

15. Rutgers University

"They tell you it's important to stay fit and healthy while at school, but they don't tell us how crowded the gym is 24/7." -Jacob Reyes

16. University of Rhode Island

"How cool the basketball games are and how much free stuff you get when you go there, like Dunkin gift cards, hats, food, foam fingers, t-shirts, and headbands. Also how crowded they are and you have to stand in line for five hours to get a ticket." -Haley Brennan

17. Princeton University

"Lawn parties are a really cool event event here. Different headliners come in and perform twice a year (early fall, late spring) and everyone dresses up for it (girl wear sundresses, guys wear dress shirts or nice button downs). It's advertised much during tours because alcohol is basically everywhere, and I guess that's not a great talking point for the cliché Princeton." -Robbie Cohen

18. Johns Hopkins University

"There are really cool guest speakers here, like today Edward Snowden did a live video interview with JHU." -Nisita Dutta

19. Drexel University

"At Drexel, we have a bunch of halal food trucks scattered everywhere on campus. The best one is the one closest to the Mario dragon statue, across from the library." -Sneha Kamarajugadda

20. University of Akron

"The Score; it's a bar/restaurant that lets 18 and up enter, and that's where everyone ends up on the weekends." -Alex Siminof

21. DePaul University

"At DePaul we have this really cool restaurant called the Bourgeois Pig, which is really cool because all of the meals are named after different classic books, like The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby." -Maddie Grubbs

22. West Chester University

"If you kiss the ram in front of the library at WCU, you'll finish with a 4.0. Totally not true, but people do it anyway." -Jessica Marcus

23. American University

"Tour guides showcase the main buildings and areas on campus, but my favorite place on campus is one that wouldn't naturally cross their minds or tell you about: the top level of the parking garage. From the top, one can see hundreds of students and professors going to and from classes; they all appear as little dots. The best time to go up there is during sunset, especially given that it offers a panoramic view of campus. There's no other place on campus that has that kind of a view, and it's a great place to take pictures. I only wish I had discovered it sooner." -Jason Brandon

24. Rider University

"There is a cool hangout on campus called Crans, which is like a late night food place and every year we have this school-run party, called "I love college". It's just like a giant rave. They hand out energy drinks, glow sticks and things like that." -Ryan Gerraty

25. The College of New Jersey

"Forcina (super old academic building) is a nightmare. Do not take the elevator in Forcina. It's known to break down. Not all freshman live in the towers. And don't be disappointed if you don't get assigned to live in the towers. Wherever you live, you'll have just as much fun." -Danielle Dover

26. University of Connecticut

"The hidden UCONN cafe one minute off campus that serves crepes, and the restaurant in Storrs center that is owned by Geno Auriemma and has one of the team trophies chilling." -Adam Sherif

27. Fordham University

"There's this crappy pizza place that's really bad, but everyone goes there after a night out at the bars. It's called Pugsley. If you look on Google Images there's a picture inside the pizza place and there's a barrel in the middle and a statue of liberty cut-out." -Louis Faiella

28. Seton Hall University

"Go to the parking garage at 2 a.m. The school is almost silent and the view of the stars makes South Orange seem a little more beautiful." -Nikko Alston

29. Penn State University

"Penn State is often referred to as Happy Valley, not just because of its location, but also because of the atmosphere of the campus." -Alexa Lopez

30. Bloomsburg University

"The golden nipple (aka Carver Hall) will always lead you home. No matter where you are on campus or downtown, if you're ever lost as a freshmen, just look for the golden nipple and you'll find your way back to campus." -Kelly Arnold

31. Rowan University

"I just found out last night actually that there is an underground tunnel under our Rohrer College of Business. The building (Bunce Hall) and the green area in front of the building is said to be haunted also." -Alexis Emery

32. Monmouth University

"Before I started at Monmouth, I knew the school had a close-knit community because of the small size of the student body. What I had to learn was that building relationships at college isn't automatic. You really have to put yourself out there to make friends. Being friendly goes a long way, and it benefits your academics to have friends in your classes!" -Megan Conchar

And the best for last...

33. Lehigh University

I knew Lehigh was a party school, but I just thought that meant that their parties were awesome on the weekends. I was wrong. Every night is a party at Lehigh, and syllabus week never ends. The school truly exemplifies "work hard, play hard." You can also climb up to the roof of a lot of the academic buildings, just don't get caught.