What Summer 2016 Has Taught Me So Far

Within every summer break there is a lesson to be learned, an adventure to seek and a memory to be made. Summer is the time of the year when love is strong, wanderlust is even stronger and everyone is trying to cram in as many special moments as they can into each day. As the summer of 2016 comes to end, I can't help but look back at the lessons I have learned during these few short weeks. This being my last summer before I begin my journey as a college student, it will definitely be one to remember.

Summertime is a time to spend with your friends, whether that be a Netflix night or a trip to the beach. So, as I began planning out all my wonderful summer adventures, I also began to see who my true friends really were. As I made plans, I would see who would bail out, or who come up with an invalid excuse, or who would jump at the opportunity to spend time with me. I also began to notice who made plans with me in mind and who chose not to include me at all. I noticed who I really had fun with and with whom I forced smile. I don't know whether it was the fact that I would be leaving all those people behind for college soon, or just the simple fact that I was growing up, but it felt good to be secure in the few true friendships I had rather than the many untrue ones I had before.

During this summer, I have learned how to enjoy the little things in life, too. Working a full time job, I don't have a lot of time for big, extravagant summer trips. Due to this, I have come to find fun in the most smallest of adventures. A "Law and Order: SVU" marathon with my boyfriend, a Pokemon GO hunt with my baby sister or a trip to Dairy Queen with my friends all were simple things, but they were probably some of the best memories I've made this summer. It's not about what you're doing but, rather, with whom you're doing it.

Lastly, probably the most important lesson that I have learned is that change can most definitely be a good thing. I have lost friends as well as made new ones. I have discovered things that I love doing that I would have never considered trying, otherwise. When I begin college, I will be leaving a lot of things behind. My home will change, my daily schedule will change and I will change. I have often feared change because I was never sure what it would bring, but after this summer I can only believe that all these upcoming changes will be the best for me and my future.

The summer of 2016 has taught me many things about life, friends and myself. I have grown a lot in just a couple of weeks, and I have had some of the most fun I've ever had. Even with all the memories and excitement of this summer, the most memorable things would be the lessons I learned. So look for true friendships, enjoy the little things and always be open to change.