What We Should All Learn From Greek Life's Suspension

We're back and we're better.

After what feels like an eternity, Greek life is back.

Yes you heard me, the indefinite suspension that paralyzed all fraternities and sororities for months has finally been lifted by President Thrasher. Many people have rejoiced at this exciting news that will now allow them to spend an even greater amount of time with the brothers and sisters that they love. However, an even more significant amount of students are questioning what will happen with the lifting of the suspension. What is the catch to this freedom? Will these organizations ever be the same again?

Quite frankly, the answer to this question is no.

They will be even greater.

Ladies and gentleman, fraternities and sororities will finally be getting back to their roots. And by roots, I mean the noble cores and values that they were once dedicated to exemplifying. Anyone who is involved in Greek life and probably even a majority of people who aren't can list a few of these founding principles. These can range from service and leadership to scholarship and loyalty depending on the chapter that you are in.

Any organization that keeps these values as priorities couldn't be too harmful, right?

Unfortunately, in the past few years some people have lost sight of these guiding principles. Instead, there has been an unhealthy amount of emphasis on the activities that come with being in a fraternity or sorority, but should not define them. These activities include partying, date functions, socials, etc. Now don't get me wrong, these events are always a fun time and many people's main attraction to the Greek community.

But we have the ability to be so much more.

This suspension has provided us with the opportunity to reflect on how to better our chapters and community, while simultaneously putting into place reforms that will ensure that we are living to the highest standards of our organizations. There are now requirements such as a 2.5 grade-point average per chapter (which honestly we should have anyways), a minimum of 10 documented service hours a semester per member, and new mandates for members to be trained in hazing prevention and leadership development.

While this might seem like a hassle to some people, in my eyes it is a much needed wake up call. We are at college to better ourselves, and to ensure that we are prepared to graduate and enter the work force.

Hopefully, this will re-align our priorities with philanthropy and leadership and ensure that our beloved chapters are back to stay here at Florida State University.