17 Helpful Answers On What Shoes Can Do For You

17 commonly asked questions answered of your investments for your feet.

73
Krisann Holthaus

For the last year and a half, I have been working at a shoe store in a small Wisconsin town. There have been many things I have learned from being there, and I wanted to share these commonly asked questions with you today:

1.Temptation is everywhere.

When you work in a shoe store, expect to be using some of your paycheck to pay for new shoes. I love buying new shoes, especially the cute ones. It makes for an amazing closet, but it amasses little for extra savings when you need it. If only we had unlimited amounts of money to not worry about how big your closet needs to be.

2. No one has the same sized feet.

I have been told through work that 80% of people have two different sized feet. Through my experience of working at the shoe store, it is true. Sometimes, one foot is shorter and wider while the other is longer and thinner. Many times, one foot is at least half a size difference—1/8 of an inch or more. Through this, we know there is no such thing as normal, and you will not have the same experience with size as other people.

3. Double check your size.

At the shoe store I work at, we are always told to, at the very least, offer to measure. Some customers do not know their size—which is not a worry because we will help you—but other customers feel almost too confident of the size they claim as their own. No shoe is the same as another due to the variety in style, so it is best to double check. Also, make sure it is your size before you try it. Many stores like ours keep samples out for a reason—to let the customers see what we have in stock. The workers are there to help you get the pair of shoes you need. Let us help you instead of you shoving your feet in the wrong size.

4. The difference between half and whole sizes.

One of the first rules we learn is there is 1/8 of an inch difference from half sizes and 1/4 of an inch difference between whole sizes. That does not accumulate to much of a difference, so my advice is do not be afraid to try that next side up or down if you do not feel the size is right the first time you put the shoe on. We have many people come into the store and want the perfect fit right away and with the size they want, but sometimes, the size is not right for them.

5. Sizing between men, women and children.

There is a certain standard in sizing between the two genders and the young and the old. In kids' sizing, it usually runs straight into men's. Women's sizing is the only one which strays by a size and a half to two full size differences. If you are in a eight and a half women sizing or under, you can also still fit into children shoes as they usually run up to a size seven. The same can be applied to a women's 12 or 13; they can fit into a size 10 1/2 to 11 1/2 in men's shoes. There is hope if you do not find what you need in some styles.

6. The sizes of the world.

The most common size scale we deal with is American sizes--for obvious reasons. There are two other scales which we are common: European and UK sizing. The general rule, which we follow when we convert to European sizing, is 31 plus your American size for women and for men, 33 plus your American size. European scaled shoes mostly come only in whole sizing. UK sizing is 2 sizes smaller for women and a half a size smaller on the men's side. American sizing is the only scale chart where women sizing differ from men.

7. Going wide and going narrow.

Some people need to go wider with their shoes for a specific reason, such as their toe box, the front of the foot, needs the extra room. There is a difference some people do not expect though: when you go wide in the front, you go wide all over as well. Sometimes, a woman needs to have that width in the front but then she also needs a narrow heel. Most shoes do not work as such, so if that happens, try looking for wider, deeper toe boxes first, such as Keen and Alegria. Other times, you may find you just must deal with that slip in the heel. The same can be said about going narrow. Sometimes, when you need more narrow in the front, it may not feel as comfortable in the back of the shoe. The best solution is always to try the shoes on and give them a little walk to make sure they are right for you.

8. Same shoe size, different fit.

There are some brands such as Dansko, in which it is wise for you to try on the same size shoe multiple times. Dansko is hand stapled, so you may find one pair feels better than the other. The same idea can be applied to other brands as well. You just never know until you try it.

9. The differences between styles.

There are many styles people tend to lean to during certain occasions. Many people love the slip-on shoe or clogs when they are going out and about for a quick minute. You should realize there will be a slip in the heel for some of those shoes or your heel will lift with a clog. The shoes are made to try and fit everybody’s needs and that means having a general sense of what your foot will be like, not a custom shoe for your foot. A flat is a nice, easy going slip-on, which you may have to try getting as small of a size as you can due to the fact that without the same amount of material you may slip out of it easily. Mary Janes are nice, as it is like having a flat but with a strap over your foot to help you keep in the shoe longer. Though other people tend to lean towards a lace-up shoe, due to the flexibility in fit. With laces, you have many more solutions to try and create a better fit: skipping laces, runner’s knot, tightening/loosening the laces and many more solutions. There are many varieties which lead to a nice fit for everybody’s needs—not to mention seasonal items, such as boots and sandals.

10. Dead-air space is a necessity.

When we look into winter boot season, room in your toe box is very important. That room is going to allow for your blood to circulate properly and give you the warmth you need. Usually when we fit you in a winter boot, we give a size up from the size you measure. It can depend on the boot itself and its temperature rating, but usually this is the best standard to follow. When you walk in the winter boots, you will also notice your heels lift up as well. A good rule of thumb is if you feel like you are walking out of the boots, then try a smaller size.

11. Cheaper does not always mean better.

Many people come in looking for a good deal or wanting that cheaper sale price. In a perfect world, that would be nice. Most of the time though, cheaper shoes only last a few months to a year, and then they go to the trash. There are the sporadic moments where you find that lucky sale, but my advice is to not expect to only pay a certain amount of money. It is good to have a limit of course, but most good quality shoes these days are around or over $100. Set a realistic limit just so we can give you the better shoes to try on.

12. The material of the shoe can matter.

There are many different materials used while making a shoe. The most popular choice is leather. Many leather shoes are nice because the leather will last longer and it can hold up better. Leather shoes will stretch; we usually say ‘it stretches in the place with most pressure’, but you do not want it so tight it is uncomfortable just to keep the leather from stretching out too much. Some people do not want leather, and so they look for a vegan option. These shoes are usually vinyl or nylon, and are such throughout the shoe. There are many companies which use a man-made material, usually plastic. Those are not going to stretch, but they will give a little with time. They also wear a little faster generally. It really is up to the customer what they want in a shoe.

13. The dye makes its mark.

When leather shoes are made, the leather must go through production and become the color the company is requesting. While doing so, the leather must be dyed. With the treatment, not all shoes will look the same exact color due to the amount of dye and the variables of the process. Sometimes, it looks like a drastic change; others its simply a little darker or lighter. Either way, yes, it is the same shoe.

14. Cushion does not always mean support.

When people come into the store, they want to find the best shoe which allows them to stand on their feet all day. There are many varieties of foot beds due to the numerous companies we hold. The truth is, some brands are better than others. It all comes back to the idea, ‘cheaper is not always better.’ The cushion can be great at first in some shoes, but then months later, it will pad down and only the outer shell will hold you up. If there is not something along with it, your foot will not last standing all day.

15. Not one shoe is for everybody.

We get the question, “What is your best shoe?” quite often. The unfortunate answer is there is no answer because everyone’s tastes are different. Some may like something with more of an arch, and others may need a flatter shoe. I have had a situation where two friends tried on the same shoe and they each chose different pairs. You never know what you will get until you try the shoes on yourself.

16. There is a brand for everyone.

There are too many brands out there not to find something your foot absolutely loves. I have tried many, but my favorite brand is Chaco. My coworkers have even nicknamed me the 'Chaco Queen' because I love these shoes and help others to love them too. They feel so right for my feet with the arch support and the movable straps of their sandals to make a custom fit. You can have the same feeling as well. There will be the ‘close call’ brands which still make your feet feel good, but when you got it good, you got it good.

17. Treat your feet like a national treasure.

One thing young people take for granted is their feet. They need a reminder: we only have one pair for a lifetime. There are many people who come in with custom orthotics after years of abuse. Many people come in with Plantar Fasciitis and other foot pain because they were not supporting their feet enough. Let your feet know you appreciate them by supporting them. Shoes are an investment.You do not need to find the most expensive shoe, nor the cheapest. You just need to find the right kind of shoe for you.