What Sets Your Soul On Fire?

What Sets Your Soul On Fire?

Live fearlessly in this pursuit.
10728

I was wholly prepared to write a completely different article this week. Something a little lighter, with a bit of humor thrown in the mix. But then as I scrolled through Pinterest on this lazy Saturday afternoon, I happened upon this particular quote and I knew I had to write a piece about it:

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire."

I'm not sure who first uttered these words, but they hit me deeply. How beautiful is this sentence that conveys so much with so few words? To further explain why I love it so much, I want to break it down into parts:

1. Be fearless...

This alone is a striking phrase. In life, we are crippled by so many fears. The fear of not being good enough, the fear of not fitting in, the fear of failure, etc. And when we allow this fear to control our lives, we are giving away a part of ourselves. Everyone has the ability to be fearless, no matter the realities they face. This can mean fearlessly pursuing your dreams or fearlessly living your faith. Being fearless is no easy feat, but one that, when accomplished, can lead to unending possibilities.

2. In the pursuit of...

This reads a bit more like a question than a phrase. It seems to ask what we are pursuing and why. Are we living our lives in the simple pursuit of earthly riches and comforts? Or are we living in pursuit of a greater purpose, be that of a life well lived, of leaving an impact on the world, of the promises of heaven or some combination of all three?

3. What sets your soul on fire.

In my opinion, this is the most beautiful part of the quote. I think we are all searching for this feeling, to find something that fulfills our soul. And it's completely different for everyone. There are a few things in life that truly set my soul on fire. One is my friends and family, who support and love me through every one of my endeavors. Another is travel, allowing me to explore every bit of this world, including the little slice I call home. But by far the biggest thing is God. My faith doesn't just set my soul on fire, it keeps it burning. And it's not always easy to pursue this. I am the first to admit that I sin as often as I take breath. And I struggle to seek forgiveness or feel that I deserve God's unwavering love. But faith is the most complicatedly beautiful reality, simultaneously challenging and fulfilling my soul.