What’s the deal with Monograms?

What’s the deal with Monograms?

101
What’s the deal with Monograms?

There are few things Greek women are so unified on as the use of the monogram.

Where I’m from, monograms don’t exist. My fashionable southern cousins might have worn one at an occasional family gathering, but other than that, I had never seen one before I moved to South Carolina for college. As I entered the chaos of rush I noticed girls had their initials on EVERYTHING- key chains, scarves, earrings. I thought that maybe it was some sneaky tactic to help the sorority girls remember their names- or at least three letters of it. So for all you ladies like me who were mystified by the fashion trend, I’ll give you the low down on why monograms have enjoyed so much success over the years.

The Greeks started it!

Ancient Greek cities would imprint the first two letters of their city’s name on their coins. Is it irony that Greek woman today are the primary purchasers of monograms? I think not. Even the ancient Greeks took wearing their letters seriously.

It’s a Royal thing

Monarchs would use their monograms to seal decrees and imprint on their guard’s uniforms. Monograms meant connection to the crown. So naturally every noble person and their brother caught on to the imperial trend, spreading the monogram’s use. If people knew your monogram, you were kind of a big deal.

Family Pride

Back in the 1800’s the only people who could afford to monogram everything were rich folk. So whether you were from a plantation in the south or the preppy north, you monogrammed things because you were proud to be from a successful family. Believe me, if you were from Virginia and your last name was Lee, you wanted everyone to know.

Personalization

What better way to be tied to your roots and family name, but still have your own unique style? Monogramming offers that personal touch. Why give your girl friend any old necklace for her birthday, when you could give her something that’s totally and perfectly hers?

So if you’re like me, you’re now on a mission to monogram everything you own. Just don’t get crazy like a mom with a label maker.