The #1 Secret Sales People Don't Tell You

Salespeople are some of the most courageous people

17

We're not trying to get you to buy stuff, we're trying to find out what you really want.

And then to tailor our product to fit your needs.

After working in sales for a summer, I accumulated not only a greater sense self-esteem but also thicker skin. My daily responsibilities as a sales intern (or sales lady if you really want to go there) include:

• Cold-call for over 4+ hours a day (which typically gives me 20+ sales leads, depending on how lucky I am that day).

• Meet potential clients face-to-face and getting told: "I really am not interested, it would be nice if you can leave."

• Memorize more than 30 different products and piece different products together.

All of this may sound doable until you actually step into the role and experience the harsh reality of sales. My experience in sales has been mostly good - my managers were extremely supportive, always catching me whenever someone hangs up on me or if I didn't generate any sales leads that day.

On the other hand, getting hard rejections was definitely the toughest. I normally see myself as someone who doesn't take things personally, always thinking of a brighter side of a dark situation. However, when you are repeatedly getting shut down (while thinking you need to make $$ for the business), anxiety builds up inside you and you await the day that you explode. Thankfully, I didn't. I turned anxiety to patience in waiting.

Sales is patience. This is an important lesson I learned in sales. Like I said before, we want to build a relationship with you and see if we can help you out using our products. If you choose not to buy from us this time, that's okay. Getting a no from you now doesn't necessarily it'll be a no forever. Now just might not be the right time for you.

Maybe you're busy and don't have the capacity to think about buying another item. That's okay, I will come back to you again when the time is right. By then, I know you will be under a different circumstance and maybe you'll give me another chance. It might take me one week to get Person A to buy something from our company, but it might take Person B six months. As a salesperson, I need to be patient in understanding everyone's situation and needs at any given circumstance.

On the other hand, it's not all bitter chocolate when it comes to sales. One potential customer might be rude, but the next person might be someone I can chat with over the phone for over 30 minutes (In sales, that's very impressive). I can have a very short but meaningful conversation with a potential client and build a relationship with them from there.

To me, salespeople are some of the most courageous people. They are ambitious, sympathetic, brave, and they put every inch of themselves out there. In fact, my experience has allowed me to see them in a different light -- a more appreciative light.