What My Part-Time Jobs Have Taught Me

What My Part-Time Jobs Have Taught Me

"Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger! Can I take your order?"

43
What My Part-Time Jobs Have Taught Me
dustinpeterson.me

During my junior year of high school, I was fortunate enough to get my first job. Well, I got my first two jobs. Working while in high school doesn't only teach you a lot, it also helps you to gain an understanding of what life in the real world will be like later on. It also goes to show you that some people just really aren't all that intelligent.

Here is what my experience with part-time jobs has taught me.

You have to learn how to handle your own issues.

Working in customer service doesn't only give you an insight to the institution that you work at, it also helps you to learn how to handle things without the help or input of someone else. If you have issues with one of your co-workers, you have to handle it yourself. Your mom won't be there to fight your battles for you. You're, without a doubt, going to have some rude customers. You're going to have many rude customers, especially when you're in training. You're going to mess up and sometimes people might think that you're stupid, but that's OK. Knowing how to handle rough situations and how to deal with customers who have a disrespectful or rude attitude is going to be a big part of your new job description.

The customer isn't always right.

Although you will have to act like it, the customer isn't always right and, at times, they lack the simplest of common sense. You'll also have loopy customers who may not exactly be up to par with their surroundings. When working as a cashier, I had to deal with a customer who was high. He thought that a $5 bill was their card and tried swiping it not once, but twice. I didn't correct him.

It gives you ground.

Whether you're saving up your money or not, having a job still teaches you the value of money. Spending your parent's money is a lot easier than spending your own. You're going to learn a lot about how things are just way too overpriced.

You're going to have to talk to new people.

If you struggle with social anxiety, working is a great way to move beyond it. I used to be super shy and encountering new people was not exactly a strength of mine. No matter where you're working, socializing with others is going to have to be something that you become used to. Over time, it begins to get fairly simple.

Your time management is going to be your new best friend.

You're going to have to decide how many hours you're going to be able to handle per week while taking your work from school into consideration. Flexibility will be just as important as being dedicated. You'll definitely miss out on some fun events.

Some managers just shouldn't be managers.

There are going to be managers who absolutely suck at their job, but, unfortunately, you'll have to follow their instructions no matter how lazy or unreasonable they may be.

If you're not happy working where you are, don't waste your time.

I attempted to work fast food and I lasted about two weeks. You're young. If you're uncomfortable at a job or you feel like the management at a location is bad, leave and get a new job. Don't waste your time somewhere that you absolutely hate.