What You Need To Know About Early Voting

Yes, it's a real thing.

7
KERA News

Election day is right around the corner, and many states are able to participate in early voting. Although, many people are confused and skeptical about why we are able to vote early. What people don't know, is that early voting is primarily for people who simply aren't able to vote on election day but still want to contribute their vote. For example, if you are away from home on November 8th, this is for all you college kids out there, you can cast your vote via mail! There are some other exceptions that make people open to early voting opportunity.

Say that a voting site is in the town's local church. Some religions prohibits the followers to go into any other religious building. Thus, making early voting an option to these people so they can still vote. We all know how long the lines can get on voting days, but what if you have a disability and aren't able to wait in these lines? Early voting is the answer.

A lot of people during the weekdays work 12 hour shifts that they won't be able to get out of. If they simply can't make it to the voting booth because of work circumstances, they can participate in early voting. The method of early voting is really just a way to give everyone a chance to vote and relieve the crowds and lines on the actual Election Day.

Many people wonder if their state is having early voting and if they are eligible to vote. In about 33 states, early voting in person is allowed without any sort of excuse. Although, absentee voting by mail in about 20 of our states requires a valid excuse to cast your vote early.

Early voting is a practical and smart way to do it. No, your ballot will not get lost between the time you vote and Election Day. That is a concern that I have heard in the past week. The system works the same way as if you voted on Election Day itself. Don’t worry, your vote will not get lost into the abyss. Although, be careful if you are mailing in your vote. If you mail in the vote and you may have done it too late, the ballot will not get to the polls in time and therefore will not be accounted for. Plan accordingly if you wish to participate in this year's election. Don’t let early voting or voting at the booth scare you away this Tuesday. Remember,

every vote counts.