9 Things My Job In Customer Service Has Taught Me

It's Not Nearly As Bad As It Seems

338
Business Insider

Customer service jobs can be hard. Anybody who has worked one knows this to be true. Between dealing with crying children, rude customers, and those who sometimes just seem to be out to ruin your day, working with people all the time can be physically and mentally draining. Despite all of the hard work that oftentimes goes unnoticed, we still return to our jobs the next day to do it all over again, and smile doing it. While the job isn't always sunshine and rainbows, there are some valuable lessons that can be learned from working in customer service.

1. You can never really "see it all."

You will meet some pretty crazy people. They will do things that you never thought a human would actually do, and the things they say will be even wackier. Some customers are great at putting together really "interesting" outfits, while other people's lack of covering up can make for an interesting spectacle. Even after years in customer service, there will always be somebody out there willing to prove to you that you cannot see it all. People are nuts. It's what keeps the job interesting.

2. Whatever they're angry about probably has nothing to do with you.

Everybody has bad days. We take it out on others because that's the easiest way to release it all. Customers are no different. Maybe the woman who snapped at you about not knowing how to answer her question just found out her mother isn't doing very well and may not be around much longer. The guy who hung up on you got laid off from his job today and has no idea how to tell his family. We will never know what is going on in our customers' lives outside of their few minutes with us, but it is important to do your best to remain composed when dealing with upset customers. If you can't handle the situation, you hand it over to somebody who can. Giving them a poor reaction only makes it more heated and can cause some big issues with your employer.

3. You may be the only positive interaction your customer has that day.

As mentioned above, people have bad days. Things go wrong, and sometimes it feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. Putting a smile on your face and creating a welcoming environment can do wonders for somebody. People remember when someone makes a difference. Customers will recognize you the next time they come in and they'll become comfortable with you. The kinder you are to your customers, the better the business does, and in turn, the better you do.

4. There are some truly bad people in this world.

People steal things and they lie. They'll yell at you for their own mistakes, and they don't care who they hurt as long as they benefit from it. You'll have people walk out without paying their bill at a restaurant. You'll find empty packaging laying around while cleaning up. There are people whose soul source of income is taking things and/or money from companies. If you work with people, you are sure to encounter some bad apples...

5. ...but not nearly as many as all the good people you'll meet.

For every bad person in the world, there are several more good people. You'll meet people who genuinely care about you. They'll thank you for the work you do and appreciate what goes into them having a good experience at your place of employment. If something is visibly wrong, they will try to make up for it. This comes in many forms, such as speaking with you, tipping you extra after seeing how hard you've worked, and even offering assistance. It's hard to forget the few bad experiences and to remember all of the good ones, but the awesome people you meet seem to make up for it.

6. Smiling really is contagious.

Smiling at a customer not only helps them, but it can help you too. If you're having a bad day and just cannot find it in you to enjoy working, smile. Smile at every person who walks by and speak to them like an old friend. Soon, the smile changes. It's no longer fake, but you're truly enjoying yourself making other people's days better. It's really hard to be upset with a huge smile plastered on your face.

7. No matter how many times you explain something, some people just won't understand why they're wrong.

Magically, customers seem to know everything. Is the customer always right? Certainly not. But, most companies live by that rule anyway, which can sometimes put employees in a tough situation. If I say we don't carry something, we probably don't carry it, no matter how much a customer persists. People can get riled up pretty quickly, so sometimes, it's best to just call over a manager and let them take care of it.

8. Being mean doesn't get you very far.

Do you think yelling at me will make me work any different? I hate to break it to you, but it won't. I understand your frustration that something didn't go exactly as planned, but there probably isn't much I can do about it. I'm not the manager, the CEO, or even the truck driver that brings the items to the business. I will apologize, I will do my best, but that may not mean fixing your problem. There is only so much customer service workers can do when they're not the ones in charge. If there really is an issue, ask to see a manager or somebody who can actually do something for you. I can help you look for something, I can apologize and maybe get you a refund, but outside of that, I'm fairly limited. I want you to have a great experience here, but I can't do a whole lot with an angry customer.

9. Always thank those who serve you.

After working as a server, I never leave without tipping. I always do my best to clean up my mess before I go, and I do what I can to be the easiest customer they've had all day. After working in retail, I never get frustrated with the workers about prices, I don't demand that they search "the back" for an item, and I just generally try to be as respectful as possible. Working in customer service reminds you that the employees are just people. They make mistakes, they don't know everything, and they're just trying to do their job. Just be a good person when you go out, folks. It makes everyone's lives that much easier.