What My First Year at a Four-Year School has Taught Me

Your school will become your second home and your friends become your second family

39

The 2016-2017 school year is officially over for most colleges around the country. Though this feeling isn't new to me being that I'm a rising college senior (scary, right?), it is my first time concluding a full two semesters at a four-year university being that I transferred from community college. I'm grateful for the experience and while some of them weren't super great, I've learned to take what I've learned socially and academically in stride. Here's what I've learned:

1. Drama still exists, but you learn to ignore it

2. Living in the dorms isn't glamorous, but it's apart of the experience

3. Don't expect to do well on an exam if you chose to study the night before

4. Coffee really is your best friend during midterms and finals

5. Do yourself a favor and schedule your earliest classes at 10 a.m. or later if you have the option

6. Don't allow grades to rule your life. Find a good balance.

7. Use your meal plan to the fullest advantage because you will be hungry and other food can be difficult to come by if you don't have a lot of money.

8. Going off #7, learn to budget the money you have so you have it for a rainy day and only consider retail therapy in moderation.

9. Take advantage of your professor's office hours. Even if you're not necessarily struggling with the class, you can make good connections that'll come in handy later on such as networking, references or letter of recommendations.

10. The freshman 15 is so real, so unless you have the metabolism of a 5 year-old, try to consider the dining hall's healthier options and take advantage of your school's gym.

11. Homesick will be a normal feeling, so feel free to call your family at least once week. Trust me. They will appreciate it.

12. Enjoy at least one or two thirsty Thursday's during the semester. Try not to make it a habit though if you have early classes on Friday.

13. Try to go to at least to one or two parties even if you think it's not really your scene. You may end up having more fun than you think and you'll never know until you try.

14. Step out of your comfort zone. College is a time for growing.

15. If people point out that you're changing, don't think anything's wrong with that. It would be weird if you weren't.

16. Join as many clubs and organizations as you can, but try not to overdo if it interferes with your schoolwork.

17. Greek Life isn't for everybody but obviously it is for a lot of people so if you're considering it, go ahead and rush. If hazing is present, walk away.

18. If social sororities or fraternities don't fit your lifestyle, consider the formal service ones that are co-ed and focus more on philanthropy than the social aspect of it.

19. If you aren't already good at it, college will teach you better time management.

20. People expect their roommates to be their best friend but that isn't always the case. You may find different long-lasting friendships elsewhere, and sometimes they aren't the ones you befriend the first week.

21. Though not impossible, dating is rare in college so don't set high hopes of finding your soulmate. Play the field a little.

22. Give people the benefit of the doubt until they give you a reason that they shouldn't be in your life or you simply aren't clicking.

23. Never go to bed angry.

24. Keep an open mind.

25. Don't drink the punch unless you watched the people make it.

26. Enjoy an occasional Friday night to yourself of Netflix and junk food.

27. Avoid ramen noodles. They may seem like a god-send for your near empty bank account, but they're worse for you than you may believe.

28. You will get sick more than you have in your entire life. Practice good hygiene.

29. Enjoy your time in college because if 1 year goes by quickly, imagine how quickly 4 years goes. It's a vacation compared to the real world.

30. As much as you want to get out of there come time during finals, your school will become your second home and your friends will be your second family.

.