What I Miss About North Brookfield

What I Miss About North Brookfield

My small town is one of many, but to me, it sticks out the most.

65
What I Miss About North Brookfield

North Brookfield, Massachusetts is probably one of, if not the, smallest town in the Bay State. Even if you’re from Mass, you’ve probably never heard of it. It’s the classic small town; there are less than 5,000 people that live there, we’re a one town school district, and there is absolutely nothing to do on the weekends. Of course while I was growing up there, I couldn’t wait to get out and explore the rest of the world, but as time went on as I began my college carrier, I started to realize I miss my little hometown, and everything that came with it. If you’re away from North Brookfield right now, maybe this will make you feel less homesick.

The apple orchard

The North Brookfield apple orchard is probably one of the best around us. There’s a playground for the kids, hayrides, a maze, a country store, and so much food from classic apple dumplings to kettle corn. They also have bands play during the fall season!

My high school

High school was surprisingly a really fun time for me, probably because I was super involved. Although it was stressful at times, I still made some really good memories with my classmates. Lip sync champs 2014!

Fall

Anywhere you go in New England, fall is just a sight to see, but in my little town it’s extra special. Living on a dead end road, the pavement is secluded from everything and just engulfed in color. I love walking around the woods during this time of year.

Holidays

I feel like holidays are extra special in small towns, kind of like Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls. My family has pizza every Halloween night, the town has the band play in the center of town when the Christmas season begins and Santa comes into town to sit in front of our lit tree, and even homecoming which didn’t pick up at my high school until a couple of years ago.

Brooks Pond

Brooks is the place to go for a quick swim, tubing, or to bring your dog for a dip. My dad use to take me and my sister when we were kids, and even though I haven’t been back in a while, I still think about those fun times,

Bennett’s Hill

This is the destination for sledding in the winter, and if you don’t have a four wheeler, you’re in trouble. It’s the tallest hill in town, and every time you drive by it, there’s always kids on the hill enjoying the snow.

The back roads

North Brookfield is one of those towns where no matter where you are, a back road can take you to the center of town. They’re also perfect if you just want to go for a drive to clear your head, or if you and your friends need something to do one evening besides sitting around and watching Step Brothers for the fifth time.

My friends

I’ve grown up with half of my friends from town, and seeing everyone go off and do amazing things is just an awesome feeling. I have a friend at Georgetown University, one studying abroad in Ireland at the moment, and many more wonderful things (PS, hi Valerie and Erica!!).

My family

My whole family is in North Brookfield, minus a few cousins and distant relatives, but for the most part, whenever I’m home for a long weekend I get to see all of my aunts and uncles that I love so much! I also get to see my crazy cat, Bray, who is basically the third daughter in the family.