What Makes Running Great

What Makes Running Great

It's About More Than Just The Running Itself

19
What Makes Running Great
Alex Quillin

People often ask me why I run. It's hard to put into perspective for non-runners. When I try telling them why it's a fun activity, they simply say "I can't understand why simply putting yourself through pain would be fun."

It is a never-ending cycle. No matter what I say about running, convincing outsiders why I enjoy it so much seems like an impossible task. But that's really the point. They just don't get it.

If you start running by going out for runs by yourself without a group or partner, it is really hard to get into. For if you are only by yourself the entire time, it literally is just putting yourself through pain for x amount of time. That is, until you become accustomed to the monotony and inevitable pain you will face when going on a run. While everybody has to run alone at some point, I highly recommend finding a training partner or group to help get you started.

As for the rest of what I am about to say, you non-runners will probably struggle to understand what I am trying to tell you, but I will do so anyway.

I will start by saying that running is about a lot more than just the activity itself. There is stretching involved, there are warm-up drills involved, careful hydration is involved, sleep becomes more important when you run, and taking care of your body is a must for lasting long in running.

But beyond the many drills, habits, and the time-consuming things you must do to help stimulate your ability to run, there is even more to running than these things.

Running isn't only a sport, it's a community. One weird, happy, stress-relieving community of rejects that didn't fit in well in any other sport. And that is what makes it great.

We all can find solace within the many great individuals we meet through running. Running might be a sport of individuals. But the team aspect of the sport is what truly makes it great. Whether you run cross country, track, or are a part of a running club, only you can understand the amazing bonds that could only be formed through running.

Another great thing about running is the nature of acceptance that exists within the sport. Everybody is in it to help each other out. Whether you are a fast, slow, or middle-of-the-pack type of runner, you can always find your place. Both in races and in the encouragement that comes about with the amazing people in this sport.

We might not be the most coordinated athletes. We might not know how to translate our speed into water. We might not know how to properly shoot a basket. We might not know how to skate on ice. We might not know how to hit a ball being thrown at us. Heck, we might not even know how to kick or catch a ball for that matter. But damn, are we a bunch of tough, scrawny individuals that are dedicated and committed to what we do.