What Makes Pi Beta Phi's Sisterhood So Great

Why our sisterhood is so great and what it means to me.

43
Emily Smith

This past week, George Mason University held fall recruitment. As a sister of Pi Beta Phi, I had the honor of giving a speech during our preference night. I had considered keeping it between my sisterhood and the girls that heard it, but I decided I wanted everyone to know why Pi Beta Phi is such an amazing sisterhood to me. So here is my preference night speech.

--------

By literal definition, sisterhood means the following: “An association, society, or community of women linked by a common interest.”

But I like this definition better: “A bond between two or more girls, not always related by blood. They always tell the truth, honor each other, and love each other like sisters.”

My entire life, I’ve grown up with family, who isn’t always related by blood but has been related by unconditional love.

And with that, I’m glad to call Pi Beta Phi my sisterhood – my family.

I mean Yes, we have the second highest GPA. Yes, we raised $1,500 last year for our philanthropy.

But beyond the academics, the campus life, the events we do – lies a true bond of love and respect that’s mutual between each one of us.

I came to George Mason as a scared freshman feeling alone. All my life, I’ve felt a sense of being alone. I grew up without my mother from 12 on, as I lost her presence in my life to prescription drug addiction. I felt lost and alone all those years, and unsure of what to do or how to handle how I was feeling. I was entering this scary new chapter of my life without a love I so wished for.

I was always fighting this fight of wanting to be loved and unsure of what I’ve done wrong. No one understood my story or what I was going through.

I won’t lie--I first joined Pi Beta Phi unsure of myself and what exactly I got myself into. I knew I had found a place where I belonged and wasn’t so alone when I got my Big, Kristina, and about 100 other sisters.

All of a sudden, I wasn’t so alone in my fight anymore.

All of a sudden, I had someone that I was able to call and cry to at 2 AM when I received a vicious text message or something triggered me. I had someone who understood me when I had my bad days. I had someone who encouraged me to speak up about my struggles and my story. I had someone who finally loved me for me.

I had someone who loved me as much as I loved them. I had a whole sisterhood of girls who loved me back, who taught me that I wasn’t alone. I was able to open up and talk to everyone, and they understood me and what I was going through. They pushed me and continue to push me every single day to be the best that I can be despite my struggles. They welcome me with open arms and make sure I’m never alone. They love me unconditionally.

This sisterhood is about being loved, and never being alone. With Pi Beta Phi, you have a true family who loves you unconditionally. That is what makes this sisterhood so great.