What Made "Stranger Things" Work?

What Made "Stranger Things" Work?

Why the Netflix Original Series is a big hit.

26
What Made "Stranger Things" Work?

Unless you've been asleep for the past 24 hours, you've more than likely found out that the Netflix original Stranger Things is getting a second season and unless you have no soul, you are incredibly excited about this joyous news. The waiting game has officially begun for those of us who fell in love with the first season. For those who have yet to see it, OH MY GOD! WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE? GO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW BECAUSE SPOILERS ARE COMING! I made it through the first season in a day. Now I have binged on shows before but never where I've felt like I had to finish it. I refused to stop just because midnight had come and gone and I'm already watching it again. Season two can't come soon enough. But before we start theorizing what we think season two is going to be like, let's appreciate the things that made season one so great.

The Opening Credits

What an awesome way to hook your audience. I lost my mind when I heard the opening theme for the first time. The music and the font are both completely retro. It reminded me of John Carpenter's Halloween. From the moment I heard it, I was completely invested. It may be a small detail, but the opening of the show was probably the first thing to draw me in.

I Didn't Hate Winona Ryder

Quick. Name a movie or TV show that you went to see because Winona Ryder was in it. I've never been a fan of hers but damn if she doesn't play her character in this show perfectly. Initially, I thought that I would only be able to enjoy the scenes in which she was absent. How wrong I was. Ryder is able to pull off both being crazy and being right so well in this that her over the top acting doesn't bother me at all. She was absolutely the best choice for this show.

The Kids

Wow. Let's take a second to appreciate the kids in this show. They are easily the best thing about it. It was like a combination of Super 8 and The Sandlot. The mystery and innocence of Eleven, the loyalty of Mike, the comedy of Dustin, and the distrust of Lucas. What else can you say? They're an incredibly talented cast with unbelievably great chemistry.

The Ending

Okay if you have somehow kept reading this and still have not seen the show, please stop now, give yourself one full day, and go watch it because oh man are the spoilers coming. When the series first got going, I had no clue as to what I was getting into. There was virtually no build up (more on that later). I had no idea if this was a one and done season or if they were going to bless us with an entire series. This show wrapped itself up so nicely that I couldn't have been disappointed either way. Obviously I wanted a second season but if season one was to be all we had, I would have been okay. Yes, there were multiple cliffhangers. Yes, we HAVE to know what happened to Eleven. Is she waiting in The Upside Down? Is Hopper helping take care of her? What's up with the car that picked him up? Will is throwing up slugs and seeing his world as The Upside Down. But even with all of that happening in the final episode, it was the perfect ending to this show.

The Little Netflix Show That Could

I am a huge fan of Netflix, their shows, and the ability they give me to waste an entire weekend so effortlessly. When they started teasing House of Cards, they had me. Same with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Don't hate me, but despite all of the amazing things I've heard about Orange Is The New Black, I haven't seen it yet. I'm getting to it, I swear. They've even done a great job continuing Longmire. But to me, I felt like those shows were promoted more. Netflix seemed way more invested. When it came to Adam Sandler's horrible movies The Ridiculous 6 and The Do-Over (which I refuse to watch because it just makes me sad to see what Adam Sandler has become) I feel like Netflix wouldn't stop shoving them in my face. Maybe it's just me but the fact that Stranger Things just kind of became this phenomenon out of nowhere added to its magic. Had it not been for my cousin posting about it on Facebook, I'd have never heard of this show. It's fun to start a show that you have no expectations for and it completely blows you away which is exactly how Stranger Things was for me.

With all of that said, I can't wait for season two. I mean I need 2017 to go ahead and get here. Like Will in The Upside Down, I am completely lost in this world. The Duffer Brothers have truly made something special and my hopes are high for the next season. We even get an additional episode. I'm telling myself to spread it out over time and allow myself to enjoy it more. But deep down, I know that's nothing more than good intentions and I will be done in a day. Now, we all just have to play the waiting game.