What It's Really Like Having Male Best Friends

Friends who are most likely confused for being your significant other or sibling.

17
Bustle

"Are you together? You guys make such a lovely couple!"

"Wow, you guys look so much alike! How far apart are you?"

"No really, are you guys actually best friends or...?"

I am one lucky girl. No really, I not only have one best guy friend but a few. They're the best. They are my best buds, the big bros I never had but always wanted. Don't get me wrong, I love my best gal friends, they're awesome. Each and every one of them forms a small part of me and complete my life.

There sure are benefits in having guy best friends. They won't steal your clothes for one. Not that I'm complaining, I love having an extra closet or two at my girlfriend's houses. You'll also have endless amounts of big shirts and sweatshirts to borrow from them when you're single so that's a plus. They will also be there, boy after boy, a constant steady male companion. They will always tell you how it is. Simple as that. You are not their sister but they sure treat you like one.

Yeah, they might be a little over protective but they usually know what they are talking about and have a good reason to act how they do.

So relax, I've learned to listen to their side and appreciate their concern. They will tell you if you look good. Maybe not as directly and as helpful as your gal friends will, but they're honest (and they're at least trying).

They're simple and so they usually give simple "to the point" answers, comments, and recommendations. They're strong, at least my best guy friends are stronger than me. Call it evolution, genetics, pure luck or whatever you want but having someone who can always open the bottle cap or a jar of salsa when you can't is a definite plus.

Also, they eat everything with you. Big full bellies equal big smiles. For a girl who is a "foodie," it is amazing to always have someone willing to go eat after you have already eaten or go get that ice cream after that coffee and dinner. Hey, your girl can eat!

They are usually down for outdoor activities. I don't know if it is just with my guy friends, but they love to be outside. When they don't they would much rather go get a cup of coffee, maybe go to lunch and then go watch a movie. Still, I'm not complaining. Time with them is always well spent.

Usually, though, they are confused and assumed to being either my boyfriends or my older brothers and at first, I thought it was funny, cute even. Now I just think it's sad. It's sad that most people see it as something out of the ordinary, to have best friends of the opposite sex.

Some people say that it is only a matter of time before one falls in love with the other but I don't believe that. I do love them, I appreciate them but I would not consider myself in love with them at all. They're completely lovable I am not saying they're not, any girl would be lucky to have them, but once you cross that best friend line there is no going back.

Once you know someone, truly know someone and form a relationship so deep, meaningful, raw and beautiful you know whether or not you can see them as something else or not. I am lucky. I only wish that others would share in my luck and learn to be open to the idea that you can have best friends of the opposite sex. To be open to the possibility of creating something you'll cherish forever. I am lucky. And so is whoever dates them next, as long as they're good enough for them.

Hey, they're a bit over protective from time to time so why shouldn't I be?