What I Learned By Staying Home For College

The "College Experience" isn't for everyone.

28

Throughout my adolescence, going away to school has been pushed greatly. Between peers, teachers, and other people I respect greatly, going away has always been the most recommended thing it seems.

I always wanted to go away. I craved the “experience” everyone spoke so highly of. I wanted to go out and learn things I couldn't from my little room in my parents home, or so I thought. Going away to school was supposed to force you to grow up, it was supposed to teach you how to be an adult. But I don't think I have lost out on much of anything.

I defied a lot of those people when I decided to stay home for college. And in the beginning, I regretted it. But after a year and a half, I have realized how much of a commitment it would have been to live at school for four whole years. It would mean leaving my family for months at a time and not be able to be there for them when they need me. It would also mean not having them when I needed them. As independent as I am, it's impossible not to miss your family.

I realized how annoying it would be to eat dining hall food for four years. It might be fun to indulge in greasy food for a few weeks but after that, I know I would miss having home cooked food and my own kitchen to cook in whenever I felt like it.

I realized how convenient it is to have a mom that still does the laundry for me when I'm drowning in school work.

I realized how nice it is to have my own room and my own space and not have to share with a roommate who probably wouldn't respect all my wishes, and I wouldn't blame her.

I realized how important it is for me to be able to separate school from hanging out.

I realized how much I appreciate having a bug free room.

Most of all I realized that neither commuting nor dorming is for everyone. I don't regret staying home for a second, but I know there are others who love living at school. I believe that it is a decision that is incredibly personal and I don't think either choice should be pushed upon anyone. Either experience should be embraced and neither should be bashed. Either way, each person will remember their college experience no matter what, with the utmost nostalgia and happiness.