Looking Back On Freshman Year

Looking Back On Freshman Year

What an amazing nine months it has been.

28
Looking Back On Freshman Year
Google

Nine months ago, I can honestly tell you that I was not the same girl that I am today, and I am so glad. The past nine months have been filled with so many good memories, adventures, and stories that I can't wait to tell my children one day. As finals week rapidly approaches, it is hard to not look back and think about everything that freshman year taught me.

1. Call your parents because they miss you 10 times more than you miss them.

2. You need to know your worth.

There will be mean people in college and in life, and you can't let them walk over you. You need to know that you deserve nothing but respect and kindness.

3. It's OK to go out on a Monday.

It's OK to go out on a Monday or any other day during the week. You'll gain tons of new memories, inside jokes, and you get to hang out with your friends.

4. It's also OK to stay in and watch movies.

It's also OK to say no and lounge in your dorm because "me" time is really needed sometimes.

5. You meet amazing people that you didn't know you needed in your life.

Right when you get to college, friendships don't form right away. However, once you meet your new best pals, you wonder how you ever lived without them.

6. It's important to keep in touch with your friends back at home.

While you are making new friends in college, it is important to keep in touch with your friends back at home. They know you better then you know yourself, and you need their support as you embark on this new chapter.

7. It's OK to cry.

One day you will look at your planner and you will have three test and five essays due and you'll want to cry. 10/10 will tell you that it is OK to cry because life gets hard, and you will also feel a lot better once you get it all out.

8. Mostly everything can be fixed with laughter, pals, and random trips to get ice cream.

The simplest things can fix that bad day that you are having. When you are sad or just having a bad day, let your friends know because they will help you in every which way.

9. One bad test grade isn't going to ruin your 10-year plan.

Your grades do not define you! One bad test grade does not mean that you are dumb. Life goes on.

10. Professors are people that care, so use them when you're struggling in their class.

Your professors are not going to know that you are struggling unless you tell them. Office hours are there for a reason so please use them!

11. Always compliment your parents cooking when you're back home because it is so much better than dining hall food.

Dining hall food is not the greatest food out there—sorry if you had high hopes. There will be days that you really want your favorite home-cooked meal but you can't.

12. It's OK to step out of your comfort zone.

In high school, it was easy to just flow in with the crowd and follow what everyone is doing. In college, you have to step out of your comfort zone because you are not going to grow into the person that you want to become if you don't get out there.

13. Become pals with your roommate.

You and your roommate(s) are going to be living with each other for a good nine months. Become pals with them because they are the ones that understand what you are going through and they will always be there to help you pick out an outfit when you just can't decide.

14. Get involved.

If it is joining a Greek organization or a community service club, please do it! You will meet amazing people and make amazing new memories.

15. You won't regret staying up all night talking to your friends instead of studying.

As scary as it sounds, these four years aren't going to last forever. Don't panic when you have stayed up all night helping your friends instead of studying. Opportunities like this won't always be there, and you need to cherish them.

16. College is hard.

I'm just going to put it out there—college is hard. Your professors don't hold your hands and guide you through assignments or constantly remind you when assignments are due. You have to balance going out and staying in to study and sometimes that becomes hard.

17. But it is also so much fun.

The past nine months have honestly been the best nine months of my life. I have met so many amazing people, learned so much about myself, went on countless late night adventures, put crazy outfits together for themed parties, and so much more.