What I Learned from Parks And Recreation

Never has a TV Show Taught so Much

87
Show Probe

It's always hard when you finish a TV show that you've been enjoying for a long time, especially when that show is one that has such a positive message. Rarely do you finish a TV show that ends up impacting you enough that you learn something major about life from it. At least, in my experience, TV shows don't leave that big of a mark on me. But that wasn't the case with Parks and Recreation from NBC.

I started watching Parks and Recreation way back at the beginning of 2016 right as my winter break from college ended. Parks and Rec had already ended by that time on TV a year or so ago, so everyone else around me had pretty much already watched it and I was late to the party. But that wasn't a bad thing, because it meant that if I wanted to, I could binge watch the show.

That isn't what ended up happening though. I've never really been one who was able to watch a lot of a show in one sitting as I get really busy. I'm a workaholic so just sitting and watching a TV show for hours on end is not one of my strengths usually. That wasn't any different with a show like Parks and Rec. I also wasn't a huge fan of it to start off. The first season felt a little boring and the humor was off for me. But after talking to some friends of mine about how the show's first season is the roughest, I stuck with it.

I'm really glad I did continue watching the show, because it only got better from season one. After that first season, I quickly became attached to the characters, everyone from Leslie to Tom to Ann, and yes even Jerry/Larry/Barry/Garry. There was just something so wholesome about the show. It was funny but it also had such heart because the characters were always trying to do something good for the community. That feeling only ended up growing as the seasons went on.

I think the show hit it's best stretch in season 4 when Leslie ran for city council. All the main characters of the show were finally in the season all together and started to really work together. Everyone rallied around Leslie and her ideal visions for the town of Pawnee. It was so heartwarming to watch a group of people work together to make their world better. While there were a lot of setbacks to that campaign, including the political ramifications of Leslie and Ben's relationship and bad press. Leslie was still able to win the seat on city council and work towards real change for Pawnee.

The show only got better from there. As Leslie and Ben's relationship blossomed and the Parks Department took on new challenges, the audience got to see an amazing story of heart and belief that anything is possible. Even when those around you don't believe it can be done or are actively putting you down.

That was something I really appreciated about the show while watching it. Now fast forward to early this week. I'm done with my classes for the day after a long work day before the Thanksgiving holiday. I come back to my apartment ready to relax. I pull up Netflix on my computer where Parks and Rec has been the main staple for months. Then I look at the number of the episode for season seven. It's the last episode of the season, episode 12. I'm ready to watch it yet not at the same time. I don't want these characters out of my life but having the closure of their futures is important to the show and my understanding of them.

While watching that last episode and understanding where the characters ended up, I realized that I learned something from each character. The real story of the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana and the people in the Parks Department left a real impact on me. Wanting to do something positive in your community is always a good thing and leads to so many other lessons learned. So I'm going to tell you something I learned from each main character in Parks and Recreation. Starting of course with the star of the show,

Leslie Knope

I feel that I learned the most from Leslie Knope because I'm not someone who is personally like Leslie. Leslie was almost always optimist about everything she did for Pawnee. Even when Pawnee was awful to her, Leslie always kept her head up moving forward to make it better. Leslie also believes the best in everyone. She always had faith in the people around her no matter what they did, including guys like Councilman Jamm who screwed her over multiple times. So Leslie has taught me to think the best of every person, be an optimist, and always love your community.

Ben Wyatt

Because you have to follow Leslie Knope with Ben Wyatt, right? Of all the characters in the show I identified the most with Ben. We're both huge nerds who have made some questionable decisions in the past. (Even though mine have never been as bad as Icetown, yesh). But what I learned from Ben was to do what you love, even if you've failed in the past. Icetown is brought up a lot in reference to Ben's failures. And he lets it hold him back for a while, until he runs for congress in Season 7. Then Ben goes for exactly what he wants.

April Ludgate

April is one of my favorites in the show just for her snark. She is quiet, cynical, and dark. April is the perfect foil to Leslie in the character department. What I learned from April is that you shouldn't let what other people think of you hold you back. People doubted April a lot in the series for several different things. I distinctly remember when April married Andy that Leslie tried to do as much as she could to stop the wedding. But April still married Andy because she knew that she loved him even after only a month of being in a relationship. She did not let others hold her back, even when others thought they knew what was best for her.

Andy Dwyer

I feel like the lesson learned from Andy is the most obvious. From Andy I learned that you should always be a child at heart. If you watched the show you know that Andy has always been the most immature of the main cast. But by being so childlike, Andy also had a complete heart of gold. I think this was best shown in Andy's time on his public television show in Pawnee, Johnny Karate. Doing Johnny Karate Andy was able to bring such joy to the kids of Pawnee and always saw the good side in things. Being a child at heart will always be a good thing, and that is something I sorely need to remember.

Ann Perkins

Ah Ann Perkins. Sweet, beautiful and perfect Ann Perkins in the words of Leslie Knope. I learned from Ann to always be the biggest supporter of your friends. Ann's biggest part while she was a part of the show was being Leslie's best friend and her constant support. Supporting your friends in all they do and then watching them succeed is one of the best feelings in the world. And I can only imagine how great it was for Ann to see Leslie become City Councilwoman.

Chris Traeger

Chris was one of the more interesting characters on the show. Just for that he was so perfect or so it seemed for the first season or so he was on Parks and Rec. Until he wasn't perfect and went to therapy for his problems. Which really stood out to me in season four as he was open about his depression and seeing his therapist. So Chris taught me to be open and vulnerable to others even when it goes against social norms. Also I have now started using literally as an exclamation in exactly the same way Chris Trager does. So if you ever hear me say literally in real life like that, blame this character.

Tom Haverford

Tom was one of those characters were sometimes you loved him. And other times you absolutely hated his guts. Which is true of almost anyone you end up spending a lot of time with. But Tom still remained lovable with his big ideas. Which was my favorite thing about Tom and what I learned from him. One should always dream big, as if the sky is the limit. When Tom thought about his future it was always the best possible outcome. From the Snakehole Lounge, to his perfume, to Entertainment 720, to Tom's Bistro. Every idea Tom had as an entrepreneur was to be the top in his field and do the absolute best. I hope that I can always shoot for the stars like Tom did.

Donna Meagle

Donna was one of the more intriguing characters as the show went on. In the first couple of seasons we didn't learn too much about Donna. Yet as some characters departed, Donna got more of a focus and we as an audience learned how multifaceted she was and became. Donna loves all sorts of things, is well traveled, well cultured, and can also sing opera! So that is one of the things I learned from Donna, to always be well versed in multiple aspects. I try to like things in art, science, literature, and sports. It's good to know much about different subjects. It makes you a better person and well rounded, like Donna.

Gerry/Larry/Barry/Garry Gergich

Garry was such a good guy and he didn't quite get what he deserved until the last episode of the show. Yet he never said a bad word about anyone. Throughout the entire show Garry let the other people in the Parks Department walk all over him. And he still did all the work required of him and more. Garry teaches me to be a hard worker even when you don't get much credit for it. Always have the nice nature of Garry when you can. It's not something you'll find in many.

I had to save the best character for last. The one you won't find in any other show,

Ron Swanson

Ron is by far the fan favorite of the show and for good reason. He is a bit unlike any person you will probably meet in real life. He's stern, gruff, and ridiculously manly. But he also has a bit of a soft side which comes out when he cares about his friends. Caring for friends is one of Ron's secret talent, but it should be everyone best talent. I believe that is the quality of Ron's I have learned the most from. That putting my friends first and caring for them immensely is an incredible quality. And its one I know that I personally need to show more. I have to start caring about my friends more obviously, and oddly enough, Ron Swanson taught me that.

Not only have these characters taught me a lot about myself and about life. But the show itself has me even more. I feel like I finished Parks and Rec at exactly the right time considering where the world is right now. We always need to try our best to make our world a better place. Even when the people around us (ie the citizens of Pawnee) are trying to make it incredibly difficult. Always use love instead of hate. And breakfast food is the best meal ever hands down.

I've never had a show impact me quite this much. What about you? Is there any TV show or movie even that has impacted you and your worldview significantly? Let me know! Either in the comments below or on twitter. You can find me at my twitter handle, @lizholbrook65 to discuss. I can't wait to hear from you.