What I Learned From My First College Semester

Alas, the first semester of the year has come to a close, and with it has come the inevitable lessons learned from one's first foray into the college world. We laughed, we cried, we probably failed more than once, but, most importantly, we lived the adventure. Here's what I learned from my first college semester.

1. I am actually capable of sharing a tiny space with someone else

Growing up, I never had to share a room, let alone a tiny one. But I've learned that I can do it. It helps that my roommate and I are very similar (messy) people and that we get along so well.

2. Classes are demanding, but totally do-able

College is the big league, which means no more studying an hour before the test and not doing your homework. Professors truly believe that you are attending college to learn, so that expect you to apply yourself every step of the way. You'll find that you are also driven; not everyone gets the same opportunity you do.

3. Having food on demand is the best thing ever

Going home and not having food ready for your eating at every moment of the day actually sucks. You might not miss the dining halls coagulated mac and cheese, but you will miss not having to cook your own food.

4. A break is actually a break

In high school, a "break" meant going to school from home for a week or two. They gave you so much homework, you had no time to do anything you actually wanted. College is different. I had nothing to do over winter break except lay on my couch.

5. Community bathrooms are a blessing in disguise

As gross and lacking toilet paper they can be sometimes, it's kind of nice to not having to cage fight your sibling for the shower like I do at home.

6. I love living on a floor with my friends

As someone who cherishes some alone time, I thought I wouldn't be able to have that anymore. It turns out, I don't really care. I love living on the same floor with my closest friends and being able to pop over to anyone's room when I'm lonely.

7. It flew by too fast

The first semester of college flew by; I feel like I had just gotten used to the swing of things when I had to go home again. One thing is for sure though: I can't wait to go back.