12 Things I Learned Freshman Year As Told By Gossip Girl

21
Fan Pop

As you could probably tell by the title, my first year of college has finally come to an end. I don't know how I survived these past eight months or how it's already May, but I couldn't be happier! Not only does this mean that finals are almost over (thank God) and that I can go home again, but it also means that I'm done with one chapter of my life.

Overall, this year has definitely been challenging, but I'm glad to say that I've learned a lot. Now I can pass on some words of wisdom to the incoming freshmen, so without further ado, here are 12 things I learned freshman year as told by Gossip Girl!

1. Be nice to everyone when the semester begins.

Even if a person doesn't seem like somebody you'd normally hang out with, who cares! Knowing people and making sure they know you will help you make friends, and people will always surprise you.

2. Keep going to different club meetings, even if you don't like them.

You might not like the clubs that you started going to meetings for, but don't give up! Wait to see if they get better, and if they don't, join other clubs! You need to keep joining different groups in order to find out which ones are your "perfect fit".

3. Don't do everything with your roommate and closest friends.

For example, don't try taking all the same classes as your best friends. Sure, it'll be nice to already know a few people in those classes, but you'll also get tired of spending so much time with the same people. This will also prevent you from putting yourself out there and making more friends. Btw, cliques are so high school!

4. Go to as many events as possible.

On campus events are always fun, and so are the city trips to Broadway shows, sports games, museums, etc. You'll make a lot of great memories by going, and it'll be nice to get away from homework. Btw, if you don't have anyone to go with, ask around! I promise you there's another person out there who also wants to go, but doesn't know who to ask either.

5. Keep checking how much money you have left in your meal plan.

You're either going to run out of meal swipes (or whatever your college calls them), or have +100 left over at the end of the semester. There is no in between. FYI -- your meal swipes might not carry over to the next semester, so keep spending!

6. Talk it out.

If you're having problems with whatever and whomever, go talk to someone about them. Whether it's a friend, a professor, an RA, a therapist, or even the person who is bothering you, nobody will judge you. Keeping your feelings bottled up is the worst thing you can do to yourself.

7. Take classes at different times, and see what fits you best.

You might be a complete night owl like me, but do you really want to be in class until 8:30 PM? Or you might be a morning person, but do you really want to wake up at 7 AM to get to your 8 AM on time? What if you stayed up all night studying? See, these are tough decisions and you won't know what you like best until you try it all!

8. Plan ahead and start early, or else you'll drown in papers, tests, and presentations.

There have been times where I've waited until the last minute to study or write a paper, and then gotten a failing grade. This is not the way to go! And don't think it'll never happen to you, because I promise you, it will. You just have to learn from it and start 2 - 3 days early next time.

9. High school is not college.

The next time you think it's cool to scream and act obnoxious to get attention, or to be mean to people because they're different, think again. A lot of these things that were "ok" in high school just won't work in college. Freshman year is about transition, so be aware that growing up and being mature is necessary, not a suggestion.

10. Make connections.

It's never a bad idea to talk to professors, RHDs, Deans, the President, etc. People with power can really help you down the line when you need extra help, a research opportunity, an internship, a job, etc.

11. You need to be selfish sometimes.

Putting yourself before others is a bad thing, right? NO. Whoever told you that is lying to you. In college, only YOU are responsible for yourself, which means you always have to take matters into your own hands. This means sticking up for yourself when people aren't listening, and removing yourself from situations that aren't helping you. Mom and Dad aren't going to make phone calls or write notes for you anymore.

12. Be thankful

Be thankful for your parents, your sibling(s), your friends, your professors, and the opportunities that you've been given. Not everyone has parents that pay their college tuition, a sibling that they can joke with, friends that they can trust despite distance, professors who actually care about their job, and a chance to even get a college education. Keep that in mind the next time you do something irresponsible or judge someone because of their situation.