What I Learned My First Semester Of College

One semester down, seven more to go!

18
Missouri Learning Standards

As my first semester comes to end, I would just like to reflect and share on the things that I learned at my new school. This was an experience I will never forget because it was the first one away from my close friends and a new school. It was a time for me to settle in, explore and try new things. It's a brand new feeling that is often described as "bittersweet".

1. College isn't always fun

2. Take some time for yourself

3. Get things done early

4. Stress may not be so temporary (kidding)

5. It's okay to step out of your comfort zone

6. Participate in class discussions

7. You will live in the library more than in your actual room

8. Stay up to date on your school's events, news, etc

9. You will meet people with similar goals as you

10. Dunk's is needed after a bad (pretty much every day)

11. You will be interested in things that never even crossed your mind before

12. It's okay to reconsider your major, change it or add another one

13. You will appreciate your independence

14. Always carry an umbrella

15. Your adult-ness will really be put to the test

16. Group projects should NOT exist

17. Some people will be on their Facebook during a lecture... Yup... What a waste of money.

18. The semester went by really fast!!!

19. Walking everywhere is equivalent to all the running I did in high school

20. Everything doesn't have to be perfect

21. BSing essays are still a thing

22. Use your time wisely and strategically

23. Let things be-- don't rush them to happen

24. Always have a backup plan of classes you want/need to take for the following semester

25. Take advantage of your resources at school

26. Some "college students" are immature and have a 10th grader mentality

27. Sweatpants, hoodies, and running shoes is the everyday apparel (at least for me)

28. Quizlet will be your first bookmark!

29. Your GPA is not everything!

30. Start making connections early so that you have more opportunities for the future

The most important thing I learned was not to let others tell me what I should major in. Study the things YOU want to study, major in what YOU want to major in, and follow YOUR on dreams, not someone else's dreams. At the end of the day, it is your education and you're the one getting the degree and aspiring to become _____ in the future.