What I Learned During The Most Chaotic Election In History
Politics

America deserves a freaking nap.

3
Hollywood Reporter

1. A mass of humans with the same opinions can be the most terrifying thing in this world.

The past year or so has completely erased the stigma I was surrounded with in high school when events like the Holocaust were taught as a thing of the past and something entirely implausible today...yeah.

2. A mass of humans with the same opinions can be the most uplifting thing in this world.

I have never seen such a massive movement of people band together using social media, protests, and rallies as I have over the past year. It started with Bernie, but despite the disappointment of his loss, people still knew what was at stake–not trying to sound all cliche and campaign ad-y, but we really are stronger together.

3. It's possible to be a contributor of ingrained, systemic racism and sexism and a fighter against it at the same time.

From the sickeningly fast and eye-opening sequence of hate crimes against PoC (think especially from August till now), to the realization that yes, I as a white person, am indeed racist (because that's what systemic racism means) and that yes, I as a white woman, must make it my job to include PoC women into the realm of feminism, made my desire for progressive change much stronger than I ever thought was possible.

4. Social media holds some of the most power.

In campaigns, in movements...there is power in our voices (and yes, our memes).

5. Hair can and will always become iconic.

No explanation necessary.

6. There's always something to laugh about.

Network television shows like SNL and The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon have shown us that one of the best methods to combat fear-mongering is fun-laughter-silliness-mongering.

7. It's 2016, and a white man is still allowed to do and say literally whatever he wants, predominantly because he is a white man.

Money, whiteness, and what's between one's legs has proven to be the most powerful trifecta in permitted hate speech and actions. This is one of the scariest lessons I've learned.

8. It's 2016, and it doesn't matter if she is the Democratic nominee for the President of the United States, a woman will experience sexism to her face and behind her back on a day-to-day basis, predominantly because she is a woman.

(And if she was a black woman, it's extremely unlikely she would've even made it this far.)

9. More politicians and leaders need to make the state of our planet a priority, not just an off-handed platform.

We quite literally will not be able to solve any social, political, or economic issues if our PLANET IS DYING and we're facing wars on WATER (which is starting to happen RIGHT NOW). Like, we live on the Earth, and its well-being is still #5 or #6 on the political agenda list–and that's on a good day.

10. The coverage of gossip and trash-talk has made it much harder to be knowledgeable about the actual issues.

And I get it, that's on me. I definitely regret not doing more research in general, but when a good 3/4 of the election coverage's highest ratings depend on Twitter wars and sex scandals, how tempting is it to just devour what they're serving? (Again, see #4).

11. The first major election that I have been able to vote for has, of course, been the most frightening, chaotic, disgusting, educational, and historical election I've ever known.

We millennials just have to see it all, don't we.

12. I can't wait to laugh/cry/sigh as I read about this era (yes, I said era) in a history book decades from now.

And I sure hope the world will be in a better place then.

13. And finally, our voice really does matter.

What have you learned over the course of this election process? Has it made you a better person, more insightful, more intuitive, more active? Use some of this day to reflect on the fact that you have just lived through a freaky chunk of America's history–how has it changed you?