What I Learned As A College Freshman

What I Learned As A College Freshman

Time flies, so make the most of it.

2
What I Learned As A College Freshman

Transitioning from being a high school senior to a freshman in college has not only changed myself, but has taught me many significant aspects regarding being independent. Heading into freshman year, I didn't know what to expect since it was my first time on my own, and away from what all seemed like home to me. However, I needed to learn to step outside of my comfort zone and make the best out of it. Therefore, I learned how to make the transition easier and also learned key tips on how to be successful.

Never be afraid to take chances, and give the transition time.

Take the chance to talk to people you would normally never think to talk to, make new friends, because they really do help with taking the homesickness away and off your mind. Go to the involvement fairs, and see what your school offers because you're likely to find at least one extracurricular activity you'll be interested in joining.

At first, everyone is in the same boat as you, so never be afraid to put yourself out there.

It will seem intimidating, and you may feel uncomfortable, but don't be afraid to keep your door open, and meet everyone you possibly can. Every single student is in the exact same position as you, and that's what made it easier for myself to adjust.

Naps are important.

I learned that even when you do sleep enough, naps are still essential to fit in your schedule. No matter how hectic my day is within my classes, naps make the rest of the day a little easier knowing I got extra sleep. Also, why wouldn't you want to just lay down in your comfortable bed for an hour?

Coffee never fails you.

I was always a coffee drinker before coming into freshman year of college, but coffee has never let me down this year. Coffee gives the perfect amount of motivation and energy when you have those two papers to do, and study for an exam all at once. Coffee makes things a little bit easier, and can't forget, delicious.

Find the right study techniques that will only help you strive.

In high school, I always depended on flashcards, and just making a quizlet. However, I learned that once I got to college, studying is much more complex. Take the time to make your own study guides, quiz yourself and find the right tips that will help you succeed. Don't wait until the last minute to study, and do a little each day that way you will remember better.

Time flies, so make the most out of your year.

When I was a senior in high school, I reflected back on my time spent there, and thought that the time flew. However, that was before I got to college, and then the time goes by even faster. Finish each semester to the best of your abilities, and have fun with the new friends that you meet. Even though it goes by fast, meeting new people, and putting yourself out there is all worth it in the end.