What I've Learned In My First Semester At Rutgers University

College really can be some of the best years of your life.

53
"I would give you one million reasons, potentially more, on what made me fall in love with Rutgers. To these questions of “why” I would say; Rutgers is home. Rutgers is everything I ever dreamed a school would be, and more. Rutgers is a school of thousands however when you walk among fellow students you do not feel as if you are but a number. Rutgers is a big university which provides many opportunities but one I love most is that the size of this school offers the chance to form so many amazing relationships with all kinds of people. Rutgers is opportunity. The University is in proximity to so many things and offers so many resources that it is almost impossible to fail if you have enough desire to succeed. Rutgers is diversity, and acceptance. Walking on campus one sees that no two people are the same, however, regardless of differences these students are capable of accepting each other for the person he or she is. And what is even better, I witnessed that they encourage each other to embrace whatever it is that makes them happy, no questions asked."- My transfer application

As you can see, as a transfer student into Rutgers University this semester, I had a really strong idea of what I wanted out of my college experience at Rutgers (without any real concrete ideas on how to achieve it).In my transfer application I talked about all of the things that make Rutgers the best possible place to earn an undergraduate degree, and I talked about the reasons I myself wanted to have the opportunity to study there. I knew I wanted to make the most of this “second chance” I’d been given and I knew I wanted to take advantage of every opportunity headed my way, but I also remember how anxious I was to be completely starting over in a foreign place. Well being that I am officially a rising junior here at Rutgers, and being that my first article for the semester was also a transfer article, I found it only fitting to end the semester with a reflection on everything I’ve learned from Rutgers thus far.

1. I've learned that Rutgers truly has become my "home away from home", and it is a place I always find myself excited to come back to.

2. I've learned over the course of the semester that the pride I have as a Scarlet Knight is limitless, as it is for almost every student across the board; one simply cannot have too much Rutgers apparel.

3. I've learned that to some Rutgers may not seem like much, but when you take a moment to understand all that Rutgers truly entails you realize it is a place of hidden gardens, bridges, and lakes. It's a place where you can easily spend days getting lost on adventures while you explore the hidden secrets Rutgers has to offer.

4. I've learned that Rutgers is a place where thousands of students come together for major causes like "Dance Marathon" and "Relay for Life", and you realize it is a place where maybe you are "one of thousands" but in times of need those thousands come together as one.

5. I've learned that Rutgers is absolutely a school of opportunity. From its proximity to New York and Philadelphia, to its resources right on campus, there is opportunity for everyone to succeed. In my short few months at Rutgers so far I have met people who hold some really cool internships with law firms, corporate groups, and televised shows. I've met people continuing on to higher degrees once they graduate, and people who have found employment directly out of graduation.

6. I've learned that Rutgers is diversity, and not just in the sense of race or religion. Rutgers is diversity because it offers even the most similar of students the opportunity to delve deeper and find their own passions.

7. I've learned that Rutgers is a school of acceptance. Everyone is welcome to earn their degree, in whatever field they choose, and encouraged to do their very best while doing so. And no one is going to tell you otherwise.

8. I've learned that when it comes time to graduate, while most students are completely ready to take on the real world due to their undergraduate education, none are ready to say goodbye to the place they've come to know and love.

9. Rutgers truly is the best school I could have hoped to attend, and I'm thankful for everything its taught me this semester, and all that I will learn in the future as I continue on the path to my degree.

Bonus: If you're me, you've also realized what you knew all along, and learned that transferring schools to Rutgers was the best decision you could have made to enhance your college career.