What I've Learned In My First Semester Of College

The college transition is scary, but you will learn a lot about yourself, and the world around you.

2
Campaign for Free College Tuition

As my first semester of college is coming to a close I can confidently say that I am happier than ever before, but that it has been a huge adjustment. College is an extreme change for the life of young adults, and it really has its ups and downs. I have learned a lot about myself, and the relationships that I leave behind at home. I am estatic to be going into finals week knowing that I am exactly where I am supposed to be; now here is a list of a few things that I have learned during my first semester as a college student.

1. It is OK to worry about your future.

College is an extremely intimidating time, and one that places thousands of American students into enormous amounts of debt. I have found myself to be constantly worried about how I will repay all of the debt that I will need to repay upon graduation, and if I have picked the right major. However, I have also learned that these stresses are placed upon all college students, and that it is okay to be scared of the next big step.

2. You find out who your friends are.

If you are a person (much like myself), and you have or will be graduating with an extremely close friend group; chances are you will lose contact with people you expected to be friends with forever. College, and seperation from home really forces you to make an effort with friends from home. I have found that you will not talk every day to your old friends, but that the ones who still call or text will always be there. Its OK to lose contact though, because you learn who cares about relationships and who does not.

3. You will not get along with everyone.

Everyone you meet, and have a consersation with will not always become your friend. I have friends who I never would have expected myself to be friends with, but they're great people! It's important to be nice to everyone, but don't stress if not everyone loves you!

4. Pressue to be someone you're not exists.

Partying, sex, and being thrown into a foreign crowd of people all create an intense pressure to stray from who you are. As someone who has a boyfriend, and really does not like to drink I sometimes feel like an outcast. Peer pressure to become someone you see on your social media is real, but you will find people just like you, so it's critical to remain who you are!

5. It's OK to miss home.

(Not going to lie) I had been someone who was so ready to escape my small town, and soemone who never wanted to see anyone I graduated with ever again. However, my mindset has some what changed for I enjoy going home. It's OK to miss your parents,siblings, and home cooked meals; I really don't miss high school, and I'm glad that I am "on my own", but coming home relives the stresses of city life and a break from school.