What I’ve Learned about Growing Up

What I’ve Learned about Growing Up

It’s a process of discovery and acceptance.
1851

I’ve been learning a lot about growing up lately. And a lot of what I’ve found has been really surprising, but obviously good information to hold onto. It’s one of those things that you just don’t know until you’ve experienced it first hand, learned from mistakes, and taken time to get to know the person in the mirror.

1. Growing up means reevaluating things.

Life throws curveballs allll theee time! I think it takes a lot of maturity to use those curveballs to figure out if something needs to change in your life.

2. Growing up doesn’t always mean change.

I think one of the most obvious examples of this is some of the former Disney Channel stars. They were child stars, and yes, when you grow up you become more mature, but their versions of “mature” seems to mean acting and believing the complete opposite of what they did when they graced the screens at teens. I don’t think you’ve got to completely cast off your innocence when you grow up. Values are values no matter how old you are.

3. Growing up means learning to say yes.

There are some scary things out there-things way outside our comfort zones. But I think part of growing up means realizing the value in taking risks at times. Growing up means not wanting to stay stagnant.

4. Growing up means learning to say no.

This one is definitely harder for me! Growing up means understanding your limits (because we do truly have them!) and valuing your health, wellbeing, and priorities enough to say no to something that will compromise them.

5. Growing up means sinking deep down into the truth.

Once you’ve learned and experienced the true truth - yes, the true truth - growing up means clutching it as tightly as you can. You need truth about who you are, who others are, and how, together, you and this world is meant to be.