What It Was Really Like To Grow Up On, And With, Horses

I didn't have the childhood that most girls had.

220
Madison Zinn

Most girls grow up playing with dolls, playing dress up, and exploring the world of makeup. They dream of being Cinderella and finding their own Prince Charming.

Well, I didn't grow up like most girls.

I grew up riding horses. I showed them, I took them trail riding, I explored with them.

They were such a huge part of my life. I remember pulling into the driveway and seeing my horses all pick up their heads at the sound of the vehicle. I remember watching them run towards the fence, then watching them run along like they were chasing us.

When I close my eyes, I can see my horse's head bobbing up and down, as I sit on her back, and she runs through the field. I can see my dad and I washing my horse in the driveway, wearing basketball shorts and big boots.

I can hear the sound of the announcer, as I sit so still on my horse in the middle of the arena, waiting to hear what place I got. I can feel the rush of relief through my body as I hear him call my name, awarding me first place.

There are so many opportunities that growing up with horses brought me. I learned how to get my hands dirty and not to be afraid of mud or dirt. I was the definition of a tomboy, and I loved it.

I spent my days outside with my horses, working and improving with them, or just running around and exploring.

Not only did growing up with horses give me a fun way to spend my time, it taught me a lot as well.

I learned responsibility.

It was my job to take care of the horses, and I learned quickly how much work that really was. But the hard work and the chores never outweighed the love that I had for my horses.

I am truly so thankful that I was lucky enough to get to grow up being the horse girl.

I got the chance to not only learn how to ride and train a horse, but I got the chance to have a loving relationship with each and every one of them. Horses are incredibly loving animals, and I will never forget the times that I had with them.

While some girls grew up with dolls, I grew up with horses.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.