History is repeating itself and the world isn't aware.

What It Means To Seek Asylum When Entering The United States And Why It's Important That We Are Educated About It

"Making America Great Again" has fallen into the hands of a man (our president) who is placing immigrants as criminals and taking their financial support in order to seek freedom and live 'The American Dream' if it even granted after.

669

To start this off, if you aren't quite sure what "seeking asylum" means when coming to the U.S.A., I will provide you the definition for both an Asylee and an Asylum.

Asylee: A foreign national in the United States, or in a port of entry where you are not able to return to your country of nationality, who seeks protection from that country due to persecution or fear of persecution.

Asylum: The legal provisions governing the Asylum Program that are codified in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

Asylum (1800's)

The reason why these definitions are so relevant to understand before reading on is that immigrants who are seeking asylum receive protection from current prosecution and prosecution they fear may come to them. The process and situation is very traumatic and can really shake people up. These people have to live every day fearing that their life is at high risk merely because of who they are. When I say "who they are", I'm referring to their race, religion, nationality, political opinions, and even being a part of any particular social group.

In order to be a part of Asylum, there are eligibility requirements and rules that must be followed by the applicants. Additionally, governments are incorporated into the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). In order to apply for Asylum, you must already be present in the United States, or you may request it at a port-of-entry (aka airport, seaport, border crossing, etc.). Also, you can apply whether you are legal or "illegal." However, you must be in the United States for at least a year in order to do so, and you should expect it to be a timely process.

Adding on, one of the main things that is frequently asked or involved when applying for Asylum is being able to add-on or bring your family into the same care and/or protection. The answer is yes, you can include a spouse and/or children that are in the United States. The child/children must be under the age of 21 and unmarried.

Now with all this information thrown at you, I am going to show you why it is so important for people to get into Asylum and why it is such a big deal and hassle to get into. These are real and serious problems. Donald Trump, our current president, has created a "zero tolerance policy" meaning that any person who is caught coming into the United States illegally will be subjected to detainment and put into criminal proceedings. Many immigrants have entered the country looking for Asylum; however, due to this new policy, it has been required that they are charged as criminals when entering the United States. This is just another disadvantage our president has been thrown at us just for not having the legal papers to provide us the "freedom" he believes immigrants don't deserve.

Border Patrol - Zero Tolerance Policyhttps://www.newsday.com/news/nation/trump-children...

Recently, this policy has aggravated the situation of those coming in seeking Asylum with their children. Due to this, there have been many families separated, as you have seen all over the media and news, causing traumatic fear for these families that have no idea what is going to happen to them next, or if they will ever see their loved ones again.

I am hoping to gather more information soon about what's going on with these real life situations that are tearing families apart with no sympathy from President Trump. This article is just the beginning. This is just the start of what is going on, and if I'm being quite honest, it's very difficult to keep up with what's happening in situations like these. Not everything is let out to the public to be aware of. We see what's on the media, but many times it's just a glance or "sugar-coated" video that leaves the rest of the world completely blind to what's going on.

Like I mentioned, a lot of people are not aware. After reading and catching these few sources of information about this current event, I felt it was needed to share the meanings and definitions of all that is going on and what's being surrounded by it. It is important for us to be aware and learn more each and every day, especially when it is relevant events that are going on in our everyday lives. The past is almost being recreated and, unfortunately, there is only so much progress we can all make together without those in power taking over and trying to take things apart again.

Zero Tolerance Policy Protestinghttps://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjS09XCzMzcAhXpwFQKHUYZAooQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPJ-vShMDh-0&psig=AOvVaw18mxkxqFxjHqbKiGONHeTR&ust=1533238400107757

I believe we can help stay alert to what's going on so we can help make a change and let our voices be heard. We are all one, and together we must keep the strength we carry as a community and as a country. This spoke to me and I just knew there was going to be no way of not writing about it and education the readers as to what's going on and even learning more for myself. Even if there's not much one person can do about the situation, we can all be alert and cautious about what's going on in case we have peers that are at risk of the events. We can at least talk to others about it, get more information and somehow get involved. This is part one of what is going on in immigration. I am thankful to have learned so much to share with you guys and hope to provide more in my next sharing. Thank you.