What It Feels Like To Be At College On September 11th

Never forget.

240

The night of September 10th, 2015. The majority of my friends are out clubbing and celebrating the start of the weekend. I am in the library, studying with a few of my classmates for a test I have to take tomorrow. In the very back of my mind I know the next day is September 11th. I get in bed and finally have time to think about the events that will have occurred 14 years ago tomorrow. I think about how 14 years ago, at 12:30 a.m., no one could presume the tragedy that would strike this country in just a few hours. No one knew it was their last night’s sleep in their bed. No one knew it was the last time they’d walk out of their house to go to work. No one knew it was the last time they would see their families and friends. No one knew.

I became overwhelmed with panic and emotion.

September 11th, 2015. It’s 8:30 a.m. and I’m just waking up. It’s 9/11. At this moment 14 years ago, and 15 minutes from now, American Airlines Flight 11 will crash into the north tower of the World Trade Center. I am in the shower. Thirty-three minutes from now United Airlines Flight 175 will crash into the south tower of the World Trade Center. I am making breakfast and doing some last minute studying. At 9:43 a.m., September 11th, 2015, when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon 14 years ago, I am walking to my first class of the day.

I’m fully aware it’s 9/11, but I feel like everyone else around me isn't. It seems like it’s just another day in Richmond, VA. The only thing that seems different today than any other day of the week is that it’s Friday which means: let the weekend begin.

Do people know what today’s date is? Do people know what happened on this morning 14 years ago? Do other people feel this way or is it just me?

It’s freaking me out.

It’s 11:00 a.m., September 11th, 2015. Class is fully underway and we’re discussing justice. So much of me wants to find out from someone why my college hasn’t done anything at all to bring some kind of attention or awareness to what day it is. I’m itching to interrupt the class discussion and blurt some kind of question out. I refrain. But we’re talking about justice and this has everything to do with justice. How can the events that occurred today, the lives that were lost, the people who are dealing with so much pain every day of their lives but especially today, not be recognized by an entire college campus? I decide I have to raise my hand.

“I know this may not seem relevant to the class discussion right now, but I need to ask. It’s September 11th. How come this school does nothing to bring attention to this day? How come we don’t have a moment of silence, a candlelight vigil, an announcement over the loudspeakers marking the time of events, why isn’t anything being done for those who want to take part in memorializing the events that happened 14 years ago today?”

The answers I receive aren’t satisfying. Yes, I know there are benches that are on campus to remember the people who attended this school and lost their lives. Yes, I am aware that time has an impact on events like these and people would rather move on than bring up difficult emotions and memories. Yes, I know this student body is large and it’s hard to get everyone in one place at one time. Yes, I know that not everyone has a personal connection to this day.

But I still don’t think those are reasons to ignore what happened.

I’m from New Jersey and while I wasn’t directly affected by the events that occurred 14 years ago, as I was only five years old, so many of my friends and family lost loved ones on this day in the most tragic way possible.

I think it is unbelievably important to bring up unbearable emotions. I think it’s important to reflect on our lives 14 years ago to this day. I think it’s important to discuss how we still feel about this day and how it has impacted our lives.

It frustrates me more than words can describe that my best friend who lost her father 14 years ago today feels like people are forgetting, and that she just has to accept that. It frustrates me that people aren’t aware what this day means to her and so, so many others. It frustrates me that she feels like it's ignored at school and that people are so consumed with their own lives and plans that in order to memorialize her father’s death, she has to leave campus and return home.

I wasn’t even personally affected. I was only five years old. But I want to remember. I want to cry about it. I want to talk about it. And I think it’s important that everyone does the same.