What's Wrong With Today's Education System

What is wrong with today's classrooms and how can we fix it?

2325
Time

We all know that the education system needs work. For years Senators, Presidents, and Governors have all promised to make a difference for America's children when it comes to education. Which none really have. The question is then, how do we fix it? What can the American people do that would change the way our students learn?

First of all, any educator, past, present, or future with a brain in their head will tell you that common core will never work. The reason being is that education is NOT a one size fits all system. Each student learns differently, and they all have a different brain in their head, and each one works in a way that is unique and we have to realize that before we end up leaving kids behind, which we all are trying not to do! We are trying to give everyone a fair shot and applying the same learning style to each student is not going to accomplish that at all.

Second, we get rid of standardized testing. A score on a test, which is only going to stress students out more, should not fully define how that school or how that child is actually doing in the real world. Let me explain, pushing a test onto a child (of any age) is going to stress them out, especially if that is all you prepare them for and especially if you keep stressing how "important" the test is. Also, can we stop letting test scores define how much federal funding a school gets? For those who do not know, those standardized test that we all hate so dearly, are really only guaranteeing that the public school keeps the amount of funding that it has.

Another thing that we need to fix is who we, as Americans, put into office. The National Board of Education is currently filled with people who have not been inside a classroom for years! Think about that and now think about the fact that these are the people who are pushing test onto our children, that these people have decided to take phonics (sounding out a word) out of learning basic speech.

We are the only people that can fix this problem.