What Is A College Campus Like With A Summer Job?

Where did everyone go?

Christian Collier

Working in the summer on a college campus is a completely different experience than the one someone would get during a school year. In the summer, all of your friends are at home and the community disappears. It's practically a ghost town. There is not a place where food is served, and there is a lot of work being done. Though there are summer classes going on, there are only a few students. Most housing is provided in the apartments or people are commuters. People who work on campus get the opportunity to live in the apartments, so any form of communication happens with the roommates assigned to the same apartment. This could be a good arrangement. However, the assignments are random. In return causing a person to live with potential strangers.

Working from a different viewpoint as a custodian, it is insane how much work is completed each day. The shifts are approximately eight hours long and on all of the week days. It is a challenge to have every room cleaned properly with the time restraints. All of the dorms on campus have to be cleaned and prepared by the end of June. It is hard work, but helpful to the students coming to the college for camps and retreats. When there is an issue because of injuries, the supervisors are easy to work with to work out the issues. Some get the option to remove bed covers, shower curtains, and clean them. Though this is a lot easier for someone with a hand injury, the job still requires a lot of effort and energy!

Some staff members stay on campus because they have to prepare for an upcoming year in the fall. These usually consist of the librarians, admission counselors, and the professors. The librarians go through a process of throwing out tainted, old, or destroyed books. In return, they order more up to date books and shift the current inventory to different shelves. They also help make improvements to the library building. The admission counselors work hard to help students prepare for orientation and their move in date. They make sure students turn in all of the requirements to attend Southern Wesleyan University. They even help keep up with the students process of getting to college. Most students are potentially freshman, and require a hefty amount of attention to guide them to stay on track. The professors work hard to prepare their syllabus, lesson plans, and notes for their students. A lot of this work is done in their home, but some of it is completed in campus.

Overall, working in the summer on campus is a healthy choice. Who knows, maybe a student has a distasteful life situation at their home. Having a summer job can help them to grow socially, emotionally, and spiritually. It also may protect them from stress and depression. A student employee also gets an opportunity to gain responsibility. This is mainly from living in an apartment and keeping their integrity and accountability in the workplace. That's right, adulthood is a major step when working on campus for the summer.