Dear Incoming Freshmen, These Next 4 Years Will Really Fly

Take risks. Do the things you love doing.

41
Kylene Ronayne

Dear Incoming Freshmen,

Yes. It is true that these next four years are going to fly by faster than you think. It is also true that they are going to be absolutely amazing. Full of new friends; some that will last forever. Full of nights that you'll never forget; or forget once you wake up the next morning. Full of smiles, and laughs, and love, and excitement, and of course, plenty of pizza.

However, every roller coaster ride has its low points. And so does college. It won't all be happy, but that's okay. You'll make mistakes, but that's alright too. There is an unrealistic and idealistic image of what college should be like in society today. Freshmen come into it with the idea that everything is going to be like a fairytale. Friends will always be loyal. There won't be any nights to regret. Hearts won't be broken.

Unfortunately, that's not true.

Though college is a fresh start, it is also a chance for you to learn about who you are and where you want to end up in life. How you fit into the world and how the world affects you. This is a lot to handle and can certainly be stressful at times. Therefore, it's okay to cry sometimes, to ask for time alone, or to ask for help. Don't let these brief moments of uncertainty or worry define your college experience.

Of course, college is different for everyone. You may make friends that you'll keep in touch with forever; or your friendships may fade as life goes by. Your career may end up being what you set out to do in the beginning; or you may do something you have not even thought about before. You might find the love of your life; or you could still be in search of the person who completes you. All of these options are okay. Don't let anyone tell you differently. No matter where you end up, who you end up with, or what you end up doing, you will remember these four years forever.

That being said, don't get too caught up in what's "supposed to happen" in college. Let your college experience be a time for you to just be you. Learn from your mistakes. Be with the people who make you the happiest. Take risks. Do the things you love doing. Wear what you feel confident in. Eat as much pizza as you want, and screw the people who tell you not to. Enjoy every moment and embrace who you become because, yes, these next four years really will fly.