Things I've Learned While Sitting Through Hurricane Dorian

I had a lot of time to think

53
Photo by Siednji Leon on Unsplash

A very loud obnoxious message popped up on my phone saying "EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY". What did my family and I not do? Evacuate! We decided to stay put and sit through the hurricane Dorian. You may think this isn't so crazy if I don't live too close to the beach, but I live about 2 miles from it. With that being said, I definitely experienced it and learned a lot.

You might be thinking "What could she have possibly "learned"?" Well, contrary to popular belief I learned a lot about myself. The electric was out for two days. I was able to keep my phone charged for those two days luckily, but that didn't mean I was able to use it the whole time. What I did with all my time is what I want to get into.

I have not been able to read like I used to for a long time. I was actually able to enjoy a book! I learned to love reading again. I got that sad feeling of, "Oh, the book is over now." I didn't realize how much I missed that. I am so distracted by my phone usually that I can't just put it down to read. I may be able to do that now, though, since I've realized how much I really do love reading.

I know I just said that I'm always distracted by my phone, but my boyfriend lives many miles away, 680, and I really enjoy talking to him. I was able to text him still of course, but I was not able to Snapchat or Facetime him. Those apps kill your battery WAY too much. I did not appreciate those apps enough before because with those I was able to see my boyfriend's actual face. I was deprived for a very long time.

I broke out my old tablet to use during the storm. I'm mentioning this because I played a lot of Angry Birds on it. I forgot how much fun it is! I definitely understand why there was a whole franchise around them. Also on my tablet was the game MASH. I spent a lot of time making up kooky stories like I was a 9-year-old.

It kind of felt like I was a little kid again. I did things that I used to do when I was younger and not so stressed with school. It felt good for awhile, but now my electric is back on and I'm stressed about school again. I was very fortunate to have very little damage at my home. I'm very thankful for the people who cleaned all the debris up and have the place back to it's beautiful self. My heart goes out to those who were not as fortunate. If you want to find some charities to donate to check out this website here.