How To Help The Victims Of Hurricane Dorian In The Bahamas
Currently

5 Ways You Can Help The Bahamians Affected By Hurricane Dorian

People need people, especially in times of crisis. Show them that we care.

50

On Sunday, September 1, Hurricane Dorian made landfall in the Bahamas, causing mass destruction. Homes were torn apart, lives were ripped away, and the islands were left in a state of desolation. The pictures that have surfaced the following days since are horrifying, reporters from various news sources having been calling the scene "pure hell," and rightfully so. The once-thriving tropical islands are now decimated and battered, and thousands of islanders have been left homeless.

Hurricane Dorian has become a record-breaking hurricane, and the aftermath is devastating. The good news, though, is that you can help, and you don't have to be some crazy activist or volunteer junkie to do so.

Here is a list of five organizations operating in South Florida that I have discovered recently that are helping provide relief in the Bahamas in this time of need.

1. Operation Helping Hands

United Way of Miami-Dade, the Miami Herald/el Nuevo Herald and Univision 23 have teamed up to provide relief, rebuilding, and recovery efforts in the Bahamas after the recent disaster. One hundred percent of all funds raised through Operation Helping Hands will go directly to help the people in the Bahamas and other affected areas.

You can donate online by going here, call 305-643-2501 or 1-800-226-3320, or send a check payable to Operation Helping Hands, c/o United Way of Miami-Dade, P.O. Box #459007, Miami, Florida, 33245-9007.

Source: Patty Hurtado de Mendoza, Miami-Dade County partners with United Way of Miami for hurricane relief, extends hours to drop off supplies, 2019

2. New Florida Majority

New Florida Majority, or NewFM, has partnered with several South Floridian organizations to provide relief efforts in the Bahamas. They have also recently launched a site, hurricaneflorida.org, and text alerts to keep the community informed, provided in English, Spanish, and Kreyol.

The original purpose of NewFM's hurricane donation fundraisers was to have enough supplies for when, and if, the hurricane hit South Florida, but because Dorian steered clear of the peninsula, NewFM is hoping to use these supplies to help the people affected in the Bahamas. You can donate money here, or bring items to various drop-off locations in South Florida: Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and Jacksonville.

Supplies needed include non-perishable food items, water, Pedialyte, gloves, cleaning supplies, diapers, wipes, baby food, canned goods, and first aid kits.

Source: New Florida Majority

3. Good360

Based in Alexandria, Virginia, Good360 is a nonprofit organization that has been providing disaster relief for more than three decades. They are focused now on helping those affected by Hurricane Dorian. To donate, you can visit their website here, or you can make a commitment to Good360 to provide specific goods whenever requested. For this option, you can contact Jim Alvey at jalvey@good360.org. They currently need water, personal care items, portable chargers, diapers, tarps, and bedding.

Source: Good360

4. Grand Bahama Disaster Relief Foundation

Grand Bahama Disaster Relief Foundation was formed by Grand Bahama Port Authority in response to Hurricane Dorian. They are currently welcoming contributions to support relief and recovery efforts in the Bahamas either through monetary donation or drop-off donation. To donate online, go here. Drop-off locations are set up in Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, and Boca Raton.

Source: Grand Bahama Disaster Relief Foundation

5. Humane Society of Grand Bahama

Unlike the other organizations listed, the Humane Society of Grand Bahama focuses on animals, rather than people. They were founded in 1968 to provide a safe harbor for the island's homeless and abused animals. It is the only animal welfare organization on the island, and its shelter was recently destroyed and needs rebuilding. To help the Humane Society rebuild their shelters to provide their animals with care, donate here.

Source: Humane Society of Grand Bahama