What I Hope Our Next President Will Do
Politics

What I Hope Our Next President Will Do

Whoever they are, they have their work cut out for them.

15
What I Hope Our Next President Will Do

It’s 2016. After eight years of the Obama administration, the American people will elect a new president. And all I can say is, in the entire time I’ve been following politics, this is the most polarizing and brutal election I’ve ever seen. We must choose between a dedicated, tough as nails, highly qualified public servant with over thirty years of experience and a racist, sexist, homophobic, classist, xenophobic rapist to represent us as the leader of the free world. And the scariest part is, the two candidates are running neck in neck. It’s not up to me who wins. I can’t control how the American people will vote. But I can state my hopes and my fears. And this is what I hope will happen during the next four years.

• Women will receive equal pay for equal work.
  • Our immigration system will give all immigrants the opportunity to become legal citizens.
  • All women will have access to reproductive health care and the unchallenged right to make their own health care decisions without the interference of politicians.
  • The upper classes will pay their fair share in taxes.
  • All refugees, regardless of religion, will be welcomed into the United States.
  • Jobs will be created.
  • College will be more affordable.
  • The national debt will go down.
  • The United States will mend its relations with Russia and with our allies.
  • Ambitious, I know. But I have faith in the American people. And in spite of what’s happened over the last several months, I’m still proud to be an American. I hope I can still say that after November 8th.