What Hispanic Heritage Month Means To Me

As A Hispanic Person Living In America, This Is What Hispanic Heritage Month Means To Me

I am Hispanic born and raised, Viva La Raza!

307

It is that time of the year between September 15 until October 15 marks an important time for our Hispanic communities. This special month is known as Hispanic Heritage Month. February is Black History Month and May is Asian Heritage Month.

Now is the time for Hispanic folks to celebrate and for those who are interested in learning more about the Hispanic culture to do so now.

The observation of this month started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson and was expanded by President Ronald Reagan in 1988 to cover a 30-day period starting on September 15 and ending on October 15. It was enacted into law on August 17, 1988, on the approval of Public Law 100-402.

As a Hispanic living in the United States, I know that more of our history and heritage is being recognized now more than ever before.

Being a Hispanic means working hard which my parents have taught me. It is a common value and tradition to work hard so the next generation below you has a better life. It is something I am striving to give my children a better life.

Another core value that everyone should know in the Hispanic culture is the importance of family.

No other cultural values that closeness and togetherness with family. On a typical weekend a gathering with an aunt and uncle, their children will visit their parents' house where there will be another family. Family time is the perfect time to catch up on what is going on in the lives of others.

Hispanic Heritage Month is a time to celebrate being Hispanic. To make things relevant in 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic the majority of Hispanics who have been disproportionately affected by the virus is the Hispanic community.

The reason why is because the majority of Hispanics do not have work from home jobs.

They are our essential workers who are harvesting food working in the grocery stores, factories, and those who work with cleaning and maintaining buildings and structures.

It is important to recognize that our Hispanic community is what is keeping the world functioning now and we should be proud of the work we do!