What Having a Puppy Has Taught Me

What Having a Puppy Has Taught Me

...So far.

17
What Having a Puppy Has Taught Me

I grew up having multiple dogs and cats throughout my childhood. I have always loved animals, and I used to be a "cat person". As I grew older, I realized that I click better with dogs, even though my own personality is more that of a cat. When I met my husband, he had a one-year-old black Labrador (who later became my best buddy!), so I've never raised a dog from puppyhood myself. I had been begging my husband for a puppy for months, until finally he caved and let me bring a new baby into our home.

Stella Blue is currently 11 weeks old; I brought her home at 8 weeks. She has already developed and grown so much in that short time! I had been against crate training for a while, until I read that it can help speed up the potty training process.

One thing that I've learned since becoming a "puppy parent", is that puppies can be like human babies in the aspect that they will more than likely either keep you up all night, or wake you up at all hours. They have to go "potty" every few hours when they're smaller, and can slowly gain more bladder control. Luckily, Stella has taken to the crate thing pretty well and we don't have too many accidents anymore. Times like these, I thank the Lord that we have hard wood floors.

Puppies love to chew. Anything. They will get into and eat anything they can get their paws on. Since they can't read, they have no concept of warning labels (this seems obvious but you would be surprised). This is where "puppy proofing" the house comes in. Sound anything like getting ready for a baby yet?

Lastly, puppies give the cutest and sloppiest kisses and cuddles... but you have to train them to know the time and place. Some pups get overly excited and they don't know that some people don't want slobbery puppy kisses!

So far I have learned a lot of responsibility and felt even more love than I thought I would! I cant wait to see where this journey with my fur baby takes us